Color formatting speed - Driving me loopy

Kidd1313

Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance for all the help you provided on the forum in getting me this far (from searching other posts). Been a long time away from VB, and just starting back.

Question:
I am using Excel 2010, and I'd like to format color of cells on my spreadsheet if they are TRUE. I currently use conditional formatting, but it limits the users ability to modify colors to their own taste, and takes me forever to update when I make a change.

Each row can have a unique color, and the color is determined by what is found on that specific row in column 2. I have come up with the attached code, and it works, but is super slow. Looking for a more efficient way to handle this style of operation. I loop through each row, find the color in column two and change color of all TRUE cells in that specific row to that color, and non-TRUE cells get changed to white. I realize I could also use a command button to just update the colors all at once, but would prefer to have it update on SelectionChange.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim y As Long
Dim x As Long

For y = 6 To 129
    For x = 7 To 215
        If Sheet1.Cells(y, x).Value = True Then
            Sheet1.Cells(y, x).Interior.Color = Sheet1.Cells(y, 2).Interior.Color
            Sheet1.Cells(y, x).Borders.LineStyle = xlSolid
        Else
            Sheet1.Cells(y, x).Interior.Color = vbWhite
            Sheet1.Cells(y, x).Borders.LineStyle = xlNone
        End If
    Next x
Next y

End Sub

Thanks for any help you might provide!

Andy

Last edited:
Try this in addition to the previous Worksheet_Change procedure.

This Worksheet_SelectionChange should replace any previous Worksheet_SelectionChange code.

This code will call the Worksheet_Change procedure if the previously selected cell was in column B regardless if you made any change in column B. It still should be fast.

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] Worksheet_SelectionChange([COLOR=darkblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Target [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] Range)
    [COLOR=darkblue]Static[/COLOR] rngPreviousB [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] Range
    [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Not[/COLOR] rngPreviousB [COLOR=darkblue]Is[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Nothing[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR] Worksheet_Change rngPreviousB
    [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Not[/COLOR] Intersect(Range("B:B"), Target) [COLOR=darkblue]Is[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Nothing[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=darkblue]Set[/COLOR] rngPreviousB = Intersect(Range("B:B"), Target)
    [COLOR=darkblue]Else[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=darkblue]Set[/COLOR] rngPreviousB = [COLOR=darkblue]Nothing[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR]
End [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Try this in addition to the previous Worksheet_Change procedure.

This Worksheet_SelectionChange should replace any previous Worksheet_SelectionChange code.

This code will call the Worksheet_Change procedure if the previously selected cell was in column B regardless if you made any change in column B. It still should be fast.

This took care of my issue! I am left with a few more formatting issues, but this gives me a great jumping off spot to learn from on my own! Thanks again for the help - it was an incredible push in the right direction!

Upvote 0
This took care of my issue! I am left with a few more formatting issues, but this gives me a great jumping off spot to learn from on my own! Thanks again for the help - it was an incredible push in the right direction!

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

In the light of day, the Worksheet_SelectionChange procedure could be shortened a bit to this. It does the same as before.

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] Worksheet_SelectionChange([COLOR=darkblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Target [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] Range)
    [COLOR=darkblue]Static[/COLOR] rngPreviousB [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] Range
    [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Not[/COLOR] rngPreviousB [COLOR=darkblue]Is[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Nothing[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR] Worksheet_Change rngPreviousB
    [COLOR=darkblue]Set[/COLOR] rngPreviousB = Intersect(Range("B:B"), Target)
[COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingwi11y

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back