Colored Pie Chart

dmitrybaron

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings,

I'm attempting to create a pie chart with five evenly spaced slices, each one having their own label, but I also want to have the ability to show a slice in a color of my own choosing; green, yellow, and red. The file is uploaded to icloud, but I can also share it via email if needed.

The intent is to simply display an item of interest and report it's current status.

iCloud

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
First of all, be careful with your choice of colors: Red and Green are indistinguishable to around 8% of your male audience. Some kind of blue-yellow-orange would be better.

Second, what you can do is have three pie wedges per 1/5 of the circle, one of each color. Of these three wedges, the one you want to appear has value 1, the others zero.

Here's the data for the pie, with three wedges for each letter from A through E, one wedge of each color. Temporarily the values in the Pie column are all 1, so I can see all wedges to format them. And here are the blue-yellow-orange colors I suggested, which are all in the standard Office 2013+ color scheme,

ConditionalPie1.png

New here's the broader worksheet. I have set up a range to the left that shows which color I want each letter to appear. And I have replaced the column of ones with formulas. When you change the color names in C3:C7, the chart will update.

ConditionalPie2.png

Here are the first few formulas, you can figure out the rest:
G3: =IF(C$3=E3,1,NA())
G4: =IF(C$3=E4,1,NA())
G5: =IF(C$3=E5,1,NA())
G6: =IF(C$4=E6,1,NA())
G7: =IF(C$4=E7,1,NA())
etc.

UPDATE:

A better set of formulas for column G:

In cell G3, enter this formula:
=IF(INDEX($C$3:$C$7,MATCH(F3,$B$3:$B$7,0))=E3,1,NA())

Copy it down as far as needed (G3:G17 in this example).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sir,

Thanks for the reply. I'll get working on this right away and let you know how it goes.

V/r

Dmitry

Upvote 0
You have three entries for HN and five for TESTS. Did you start with all 1's in the Pie column, so you could color the pie slices correctly?

Upvote 0
Fixed that and made sure the pie slices are equal in size. However, the color 'gray' doesn't show. Must not be in the palate.

Upvote 0
Chart Format tab > Shape Fill (middle of the ribbon). Gray is in the top row of the default Office color scheme. Or pick a color tile from the first column.

ShapeFillColorPalette.png

Upvote 0
How do I trigger the color change with just simply typing ‘Gray’ in the cell? I can do that with the other three colors.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back