Column Charts Axis Labels - Not showing all of them

exkris

I had a column chart with 90 columns on it and every value for the X axis was present. I had to add another ~20 and now only every second X axis value is displayed. I have:

1) Reduced the size of the text to see if that would show the missing values, nope.
2) Under axis options, the value "Specify interval unit" is equal to 1.

Is there any way I can show each X axis value or is this a limitation of excel column charts?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I don't have that version on this PC (only 2010 on this one), but when you say the Interval is set to 1, did you make sure this was actually the selected setting? Excel 2010 also has an automatic setting, to be selected with a radiobutton between those two...

Make sure the setting of 1 in the Interval is active, because that is what seems to be the issue I think...

In Excel 2003, I think it's a checkbox, if the box is checked, it's set to automatic mode, uncheck it to force it to use the value you entered...

Upvote 0
Yeah I've tried both automatic, interval to 1, resize the text, realign the text....

Upvote 0
Strange, if it's not set to automatic it should show all labels...
90 labels is not an issue, they should be shown easily.

Can you upload the file somewhere and post a link, then I can have a look?

Upvote 0
Ah.... I don't think I can do that... I am contracting to an oil company and the file has lots of costs, history and vendor lists involved.

I think I am going to have to chalk this one up as a limitation to Excel, unfortunately.

Upvote 0
It surely isn't a limitation of Excel, I've had charts with more than 100 labels, no problem.
I understand you cannot send the file. Try for yourself in an empty Excelfile:
- create random data, e.g. 100 rows of it
LABEL - DATA
Lbl1 - 12
Lbl2 - 23
etcetera

Make a chart of it and experiment with the labels, you should easily be able to make them all show.

Upvote 0
I have 5 of these charts, all of them to print on 11x17 and they all do the same thing... I wonder if its because of 2007? Might have to see if someone around the office has 2010 installed.

Upvote 0
On my other PC now, with 2007 on it...

I feel your pain now... I have been able to reproduce your problem, and I did not yet find a way to force Excel to show all the labels, though it should, according to how the settings are...

I hope it's a bit of a relief to know you are not going crazy, the problem really exists :biggrin:

I will try some more, and if I find a solution, I will of course post it here...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bastbog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back