Columns in stacked column graph reset to narrow line width

gooniegirl180

Board Regular
Hello everyone,

This morning my boss pointed out to me that the graphs I normally give him on a monthly basis "didn't look right". What had happened was that the 12 months worth of stacked columns on my double y-axis graphs had suddenly narrowed to the width of a line. They were there, but they looked more like vertical graph lines than data.

I compared my settings on the previous graphs to the current ones and couldn't for the life of me find a difference between them and came here to see if someone else had the answer. I couldn't find one here, but managed to find the solution on my own anyway.

Since there didn't seem to be a match to my search, I thought I'd post the solution in case someone else had the same problem in the future.

Anyway, turns out that my x-axis data had two "Dec-10" columns and no "Nov-10" column. For some reason, this caused Excel 2007 to poop itself and narrow the column width to a line.

I'd be curious to know if this is a bug in Excel, as I would have thought Excel wouldn't have cared what the x-axis titles were, and would just have graphed the data normally. I'm suspecting it may have something to do with Excel recognising them as dates and that the data columns represented monthly data and so spat the dummy when one month was missing and another was in there twice. I don't know!

Regards,
gooniegirl180

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back