COMBINATIONS with repetitions???

garrettsmale

Hey ,
I’ve been trying to complete a project, but I’ve been stuck on this dilemma that’s been holding me back for quite some time, and I’m running out of ideas

I’m trying to create lists of every combination of certain letters and also numbers for string sets of 6 through..(idk maybe 10 is long enough). I basically need a combinations generator with repetition formula.

For example:
If I were to use letters “a, b, c, d, e, f, g” and I wanted all the combinations of these letters in string sets of 3, I’d get this:

aaa, aab, aac, aad, aae, aaf, aag, aba, abb, abc, abd, abe, abf, abg, aca, acb, acc, acd, ace, acf, acg, ada, adb, adc, add, ade, adf, adg, aea, aeb, aec, aed, aee, aef, aeg, afa, afb, afc, afd, afe, aff, afg, aga, agb, agc, agd, age, agf, agg, baa, bab, bac, bad, bae, baf, bag, bba, bbb, bbc, bbd, bbe, bbf, bbg, bca, bcb, bcc, bcd, bce, bcf, bcg, bda, bdb, bdc, bdd, bde, bdf, bdg, bea, beb, bec, bed, bee, bef, beg, bfa, bfb, bfc, bfd, bfe, bff, bfg, bga, bgb, bgc, bgd, bge, bgf, bgg, caa, cab, cac, cad, cae, caf, cag, cba, cbb, cbc, cbd, cbe, cbf, cbg, cca, ccb, ccc, ccd, cce, ccf, ccg, cda, cdb, cdc, cdd, cde, cdf, cdg, cea, ceb, cec, ced, cee, cef, ceg, cfa, cfb, cfc, cfd, cfe, cff, cfg, cga, cgb, cgc, cgd, cge, cgf, cgg, daa, dab, dac, dad, dae, daf, dag, dba, dbb, dbc, dbd, dbe, dbf, dbg, dca, dcb, dcc, dcd, dce, dcf, dcg, dda, ddb, ddc, ddd, dde, ddf, ddg, dea, deb, dec, ded, dee, def, deg, dfa, dfb, dfc, dfd, dfe, dff, dfg, dga, dgb, dgc, dgd, dge, dgf, dgg, eaa, eab, eac, ead, eae, eaf, eag, eba, ebb, ebc, ebd, ebe, ebf, ebg, eca, ecb, ecc, ecd, ece, ecf, ecg, eda, edb, edc, edd, ede, edf, edg, eea, eeb, eec, eed, eee, eef, eeg, efa, efb, efc, efd, efe, eff, efg, ega, egb, egc, egd, ege, egf, egg, faa, fab, fac, fad, fae, faf, fag, fba, fbb, fbc, fbd, fbe, fbf, fbg, fca, fcb, fcc, fcd, fce, fcf, fcg, fda, fdb, fdc, fdd, fde, fdf, fdg, fea, feb, fec, fed, fee, fef, feg, ffa, ffb, ffc, ffd, ffe, fff, ffg, fga, fgb, fgc, fgd, fge, fgf, fgg, gaa, gab, gac, gad, gae, gaf, gag, gba, gbb, gbc, gbd, gbe, gbf, gbg, gca, gcb, gcc, gcd, gce, gcf, gcg, gda, gdb, gdc, gdd, gde, gdf, gdg, gea, geb, gec, ged, gee, gef, geg, gfa, gfb, gfc, gfd, gfe, gff, gfg, gga, ggb, ggc, ggd, gge, ggf, ggg

(ideally, it’d be a vertical list, but just to save space)

and numbers would be like this:

(shorter sample)
111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276,…. Etc.

but that makes sense right?

Now, I’d easily be able to achieve this through using this AWESOME website (http://textmechanic.com/Combination-Generator.html) , but for some reason the window keeps freezing up (even when I do the direct save thing) everytime I want to generate string sets of 6 or greater. (maybe my comps RAM is too low?)

Now that I have described my general required computation, I’d like to spill my exact desired result, because even the site above gave me more information than I needed.

I really only need the first letter(or number) starting set of combinations, and the rest is actually arbitrary to me because I only want the combinations that have that certain Letter/or number in it. (please stay with me.. heres an example):

So.. in the combinations list I gave up there, I’d really only want the first round of combinations (which happens to be starting with “a”)
VVV
aaa, aab, aac, aad, aae, aaf, aag, aba, abb, abc, abd, abe, abf, abg, aca, acb, acc, acd, ace, acf, acg, ada, adb, adc, add, ade, adf, adg, aea, aeb, aec, aed, aee, aef, aeg, afa, afb, afc, afd, afe, aff, afg, aga, agb, agc, agd, age, agf, agg,

:)

alright,, so theres that.

Now to make things even more complicated, do you notice how there are actually repeated strings? like strings that have the same exact letters in them, but are just in a different order? For example.. the “abc” string on the top middle.. well it has its brother or sister “acb”.. i don’t want that...

Actually i’m making this too complicated, and I can just delete those on my own time without the complex extras in a formula.. idk

But just to give you a really good idea, here are some things that I found that were really close to helping me, but just couldn’t for some reason or another..

Was so close!
https://sites.google.com/site/e90e50fx/home/combinatorics-using-excel-formulas-and-examples
almost there..
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/436932-all-possible-combinations-repeats-allowed.html
OMG if only I didn’t have a mac/was running excel 2011
Combinations Generator Excel Download - ExcelFreelance.com
more teasing..
Excel - Multiple Combination Generator - Hello People... - Free Excel Help

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/422699-help-combination-formula-excel07.html
I just suck at excel and im completely lost with formulas and macros..
Excel - Multiple Combination Generator - Hello People... - Free Excel Help

so.. I hope I have made sense..

but either way, if you’re reading this, I thank you so very much for even taking the time.. it’s really awesome that these types of sites can even exist were people take the time out of their own day to help someone out and teach them new things out of pure kindness and the desire to help and serve

that being said, I would totally be glad to compensate somehow for anyone that can solve my problem

THANK YOU :)

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
If I understand your goal correctly, I think you could paste the data into a workbook, save it as .xls. Then use Microsoft Query to join the table to itself and use a DISTINCT operator. For Example:
Code:
SELECT DISTINCT Sheet1.Three FROM Sheet1, Sheet1 AS Sheet1_1 WHERE (Sheet1.Three=Sheet1_1.Three)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back