Combining two lists of data based on two conditions

jeremybt

Hi All,

First off, thanks in advance for any help on this. I've been reading/searching the forums for awhile now, but this is the first time I haven't been able to work out a solution to something from other posts, so here I am with post number 1.

What I am trying to do is combine some planned and actual data lists into one reconcilliation.
The plan consists of a material source, a destination, and a tonnage. The actuals consist of the same, but in many cases the plan does not get followed, and the material will not get taken from the correct source, not get placed at the correct destination, or too little/much tonnes are taken.

I would like to take the planned data, and the actuals data, and combine it into one list showing all source and destination combinations(planned and actual, even if only in one or the other), and the coorisponding planned and actual tonnages between each.

This is shown below (sorry for the poor formatting, this was the best I could get it to. The Loc data is under source, Dmp under destination, and numbers under tonnage):

Plan

SRC_P DEST_P TONNAGE_P
Loc_1 Dmp_1 11,000
Loc_2 Dmp_2 12,000
Loc_3 Dmp_3 13,000
Loc_4 Dmp_4 14,000
Loc_5 Dmp_5 15,000

Actual

SRC_A DEST_A TONNAGE_A
Loc_2 Dmp_2 10,000
Loc_3 Dmp_3 13,000
Loc_4 Dmp_4 18,000
Loc_5 Dmp_1 10,000
Loc_6 Dmp_7 9,000
Loc_6 Dmp_6 8,000

Desired Results

SOURCE DEST PLAN ACTUAL
Loc_1 Dmp_1 11,000 00000
Loc_2 Dmp_2 12,000 10,000
Loc_3 Dmp_3 13,000 13,000
Loc_4 Dmp_4 14,000 18,000
Loc_5 Dmp_5 15,000 00000
Loc_5 Dmp_1 00000 10,000
Loc_6 Dmp_7 00000 9,000
Loc_6 Dmp_6 00000 8,000

I hope this clairifies the problem well enough. I am using Excel 2003 SP3, and although I have posted this in the excel forum, I would also be open to a VBA solution to this if it would be the simple option.

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,
Jeremy

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
With the help of two additional columns is possible, but a little bit complicated solution:
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
1Plan***Actual******Desired Results**
2SRC_PDEST_PTONN._P*SRC_ADEST_ATONN._A****SOURCEDESTPLANACTUAL
3Loc_1Dmp_111,000*Loc_2Dmp_210,000*Loc_1 Dmp_1Loc_1 Dmp_1*Loc_1Dmp_1110000
4Loc_2Dmp_212,000*Loc_3Dmp_313,000*Loc_2 Dmp_2Loc_2 Dmp_2*Loc_2Dmp_21200010000
5Loc_3Dmp_313,000*Loc_4Dmp_418,000*Loc_3 Dmp_3Loc_3 Dmp_3*Loc_3Dmp_31300013000
6Loc_4Dmp_414,000*Loc_5Dmp_110,000*Loc_4 Dmp_4Loc_4 Dmp_4*Loc_4Dmp_41400018000
7Loc_5Dmp_515,000*Loc_6Dmp_79,000*Loc_5 Dmp_5Loc_5 Dmp_5*Loc_5Dmp_5150000
8****Loc_6Dmp_68,000*Loc_2 Dmp_2Loc_5 Dmp_1*Loc_5Dmp_1010000
9********Loc_3 Dmp_3Loc_6 Dmp_7*Loc_6Dmp_709000
10********Loc_4 Dmp_4Loc_6 Dmp_6*Loc_6Dmp_608000
11********Loc_5 Dmp_1******
12********Loc_6 Dmp_7******
13********Loc_6 Dmp_6******
Sheet1

The first additional column is for listing all the positions on the first two columns in both "Plan" and "Actual" tables concatenated, then in the second additional column these are filtrated to unique values, then this unique values list is used to get the first two columns of the "Desired results" table, by splitting them back using the same separator as for the concatenation (in this case the space character, " "). This is the most difficult part of the process and might be simplified by using names associated to dynamic ranges for the first two columns of the "Plan" and "Actual" tables and for the additional columns. The rest is easy: a couple of SUMPRODUCT based formulas to calculate the values necessary for the remaining two columns in the "Desired results" table.

If you have the the will and the necessary patience to understand and use this procedure I can elaborate on it.

Upvote 0
Hi, Try this:-
It is assumed that you first list of Data starts "A2" And the second list of Data Starts "D2" (Headers on row 1), the Results Start "I2"
Code:
[COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] MG02Sep30
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Rng [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Dn [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Rng2 [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, n [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Integer[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Ray, c [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long,[/COLOR] Twn [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]String,[/COLOR] a, Res1 [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Double, Res2 [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Double
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] oRng [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Col [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Integer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Rng = Range(Range("A2"), Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
        [COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Rng2 = Range(Range("E2"), Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
            [COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] oRng = Union(Rng, Rng2)
                ReDim Ray(1 To oRng.Count, 1 To 4)
    [COLOR="Navy"]With[/COLOR] CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
        .CompareMode = vbTextCompare
        [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] Dn [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] oRng
                Twn = Dn & Dn.Next
                Res1 = IIf(Dn.Column = 1, Dn.Offset(, 2), 0)
                Res2 = IIf(Dn.Column = 5, Dn.Offset(, 2), 0)
            [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not .Exists(Twn) [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
                n = n + 1
                .Add Twn, n
                Ray(n, 1) = Dn: Ray(n, 2) = Dn.Offset(, 1)
                Ray(n, 3) = Res1: Ray(n, 4) = Res2
            [COLOR="Navy"]Else[/COLOR]
                Col = IIf(Dn.Column = 1, 3, 4)
                Ray(.Item(Twn), Col) = Dn.Offset(, 2)
            [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] If
        [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Dn
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] With
Range("i2").Resize(oRng.Count, 4).Value = Ray
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
Thanks alot to both of you for the solutions; I ended up going with MickG's VBA solution, and it worked perfectly.

If either of you ever find yourselves in Newman, Western Australia, I'll be sure to buy you a round :)

Cheers,
Jeremy

Upvote 0
Hi, Jeremy.

Some other approaches, that might be of interest. A pivot table or a query table. These are non-formula, non-VBA approaches. (Though can be coded.)

Firstly, the pivot table. Say you name the data ranges "Plan" and "Actual". (That is, the headers and the data under. Such as select the entire table and either type the name "Plan" into the name box at the top LHS or hit CTRL-F3 and create that way.) Maybe best to close the file. From a new workbook, menu data, pivot table, external data source. Then 'get data', Excel files, your file, OK, see the named ranges, pick a field or table (to appear on the RHS) - any will do, and continue a few steps until you have three choices and see FINISH. Take the middle option, to edit in MS Query. When MS Query opens, hit the SQL button and replace what you see by text below. Ok to enter, then hit the 'open door' button and complete the pivot table. Resultant worksheet containing the pivot table can be moved into the source data file if you want.

Code:
SELECT SRC_P AS [SOURCE], DEST_P AS [DEST], TONNAGE_P AS [PLAN], Null AS [ACTUAL]
FROM Plan
UNION ALL
SELECT SRC_A AS [SOURCE], DEST_A AS [DEST], Null AS [PLAN], TONNAGE_A AS [ACTUAL]
FROM Actual

And, the query table, rather similar. Start via menu data, import external data, new database query. Like before, continue into MS Query and SQL is like below. OK to it and then the 'open door' button to return to a worksheet. This is a query table and refreshable like a pivot table.

Code:
SELECT A.SOURCE, A.DEST, Sum(A.PLAN) AS [PLAN], Sum(A.ACTUAL) AS [ACTUAL]
FROM (SELECT SRC_P AS [SOURCE], DEST_P AS [DEST], TONNAGE_P AS [PLAN], Null AS [ACTUAL]
FROM Plan
UNION ALL
SELECT SRC_A AS [SOURCE], DEST_A AS [DEST], Null AS [PLAN], TONNAGE_A AS [ACTUAL]
FROM Actual) A
GROUP BY A.SOURCE, A.DEST

HTH, Fazza

Upvote 0
The second SQL I posted does a summation on each of the PLAN and ACTUAL fields.

Though as the sample data doesn't have duplicate SOURCE & DEST values, the (simpler) earlier SQL offered for the pivot table would be OK too.

That is, you can simplify the query table SQL by instead using the SQL offered for the pivot table.

Upvote 0
Hi Fazza,

It does look like a simple and easy to implement solution, and I will certainly make use of it if I decide to have all of this data stored in a DB in the future, but for now I'm looking at keeping it localized to one workbook. Thanks for that though.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Upvote 0
OK. Both the pivot table and query table are good contained entirely within the same workbook as the data. This is the approach I'd use, btw - more like a database, no formulas, can be done without code. cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back