Combobox/Textbox question

Chewyhairball

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the following bit of code that works fine with my user form combobox

VBA Code:
If ComboBox1.Value <> Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Textbox3.Value, InfoTable, 6, False) Then
MsgBox "The selected value does not match " & textbox3.Value & " value previously input." & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "Please recheck before inputing.", 64, "Value does not match"
Exit Sub
End If

I also have the following except it is for textbox2 and it doesnt work.

VBA Code:
If textbox2.Value <> Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(textbox3.Value, InfoTable, 2, False) Then
MsgBox "The selected value does not match " & textbox3.Value & " value previously input." & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "Please recheck before inputing.", 64, "Value does not match"
Exit Sub
End If

It relays the msgbox regardless if the values match or dont match and i cant figure out why.

The table range for 'InfoTable' is definately correct as it the col_index_num

it is driving me mad :)

Any ideas as to why the combobox would work but the textbox wouldnt?

Rory

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hi there

Based on the information you have provided, it seems like the issue is not with the code syntax or the range used in VLookup, as the same range and syntax are used in both cases. Therefore, it is likely that the issue lies elsewhere.

One possibility is that the value in the textbox is not being passed correctly to the VLookup function. You can try adding a debug print statement to check the value of textbox2 just before the VLookup function is called, like this:

VBA Code:
Debug.Print "textbox2.Value: " & textbox2.Value
If textbox2.Value <> Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(textbox3.Value, InfoTable, 2, False) Then

This will print the value of textbox2 in the immediate window, so you can verify that the correct value is being passed to the VLookup function.
Another possibility is that the value being looked up in the VLookup function (i.e., the value in textbox3) does not exist in the second column of the InfoTable range. You can check this by manually verifying that the value in textbox3 exists in the second column of InfoTable.

Let us know how it goes...

Upvote 0
Are the values being entered numerical? TextBoxes and ComboBoxes only contain strings. VLOOKUP might be returning a number, which isn't equal to a string

"1234" <> 1234

Upvote 0
Hi there

Based on the information you have provided, it seems like the issue is not with the code syntax or the range used in VLookup, as the same range and syntax are used in both cases. Therefore, it is likely that the issue lies elsewhere.

One possibility is that the value in the textbox is not being passed correctly to the VLookup function. You can try adding a debug print statement to check the value of textbox2 just before the VLookup function is called, like this:

VBA Code:
Debug.Print "textbox2.Value: " & textbox2.Value

This will print the value of textbox2 in the immediate window, so you can verify that the correct value is being passed to the VLookup function.
Another possibility is that the value being looked up in the VLookup function (i.e., the value in textbox3) does not exist in the second column of the InfoTable range. You can check this by manually verifying that the value in textbox3 exists in the second column of InfoTable.

Let us know how it goes...
Hi

The debug print didn,t do anything. I tried it for the combobox and it didnt do anything with that either.
The value definately exists in the table yes. Its very confusing.

Upvote 0
Are the values being entered numerical? TextBoxes and ComboBoxes only contain strings. VLOOKUP might be returning a number, which isn't equal to a string

"1234" <> 1234
The combobox is input via a dropdown menu on the user form and the textboxes are manually input.

Upvote 0
So i tried a few experiments.

if i just use a value then it works
VBA Code:
If textbox2.Value <> 50 Then

but if i put a value in cell A1(50) and reference that cell it doesnt work
VBA Code:
If textbox2.Value <> Range("A1").Value Then

It does however work for the combobox
VBA Code:
If combobox1.Value <> Range("A1").Value Then

It looks like the combobox is treating the data differently.???

It is still confusing as i have other bits of code in the same sub that does work when comparing textboxes to cell references

VBA Code:
If (textbox4.Value) * (textbox7.Value) + Range("potest").Value > Range("G3") Then
  Me.Row4.SetFocus
 MsgBox "The Maximum will be exceeded" & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "Maximum Set Limit - " & Range("G3") & vbNewLine & "Potential  -" & TextBox2.Value &, 64, "Max Limit"
  Exit Sub
End If

Upvote 0
So....I managed to get it to work. I dont know what I am doing but used logic in that somehow the combobox was activating the number and the text box wasnt.
I thought i would try and force the textbox to calculate by multiplying. I used 1 so it didn't change the figure.
It works. I dont know if it the correct way to do it but it does what i need it to do :)

VBA Code:
If (textbox2.Value) * 1 <> Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(textbox3.Value, InfoTable, 2, False) Then

Exit Sub

End If

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back