Comparing changes in 2 sets of data

halfgeek

Hi there,

I have two sets of data that I need to show if there has been an increase or decrease in over a 2 year period so at present have something that looks like this:

Year 1Year 2
PostcodeNumberPostcodeNumber
SY23 72875SY66 22890
ST65 82700SY23 72611
SY66 22602ST9 62400

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

I need to show, for example, that SY66 2 has gone from 3rd in year one to 1st in year two.

Can anyone help at all please?

Its the top 10 postcodes which isn't alot, but I have to do this for about 60 bases so if I can find a formula or something that works my job will be much easier (especially as this will be a monthly occurence).

Thanks very much in advance.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi,

Not being 100% sure what you want your output to look like or the structure of your workbook I've quickly hashed together the following formula assuming Year1 is in A1, Postcode in A2 with the data actually beginning in A3.

=IFERROR(INDEX(ROW(A:A)-2,MATCH(C3,A:A,0))&" to "&ROW(C3)-2,"not previously found")

The output would then look like "1 to 2" for "SY23 7" & "3 to 1" for "SY66 2"

I've put this next to the data in year 2 looking up the postcode in year 1. It outputs the row in which is found the data in year 1 - 2 as for the Year1 and Postcode that are in the row above will give you the correct position the postcode is in. I've added in an if error not previously found just to tidy it up just in case but it may not be needed for what you want.

I think that should do want. Let me know if not.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you Bairn. I am not, yet, terribly good with nested formulas but I have figured out what this is doing and it will do the job nicely. Ultimately (because I know my boss) I am going to need to somehow have conditional formatting with little up and down arrows to make it appealing to the eye, but this is great so thank you very much indeed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daynle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back