Complex import/clean/match/substitute/match VBA program

ps49556n

Hello,

Thank you all in advance for any help provided in the thread and also for all the other help in the forum's past. I have used the resources here frequently but have not had to post a question until now.

One task of my job is to reconcile credit card transactions with our accounting system (Sage X3) and then update an existing excel database with all new transactions. This is not so bad for a few accounts but I need to do upwards of 20 different accounts. I have been trying for months to create a VBA program that will do the following:

-Import a CSV file

-Clean all cells that contain numbers (This is to remove a unique transaction ID# from a "Supplier" column that should just be matched to a generic name. ex: "CITI WEB PAYMENT 5118444166 54413" to "CITI").

-Take imported data and using a table on a separate sheet, match and substitute with properly named and formatted descriptions. This table is complete already. (Ex: "PAYPAL TRANSFER PPD ID: PAYPALSD" to "PayPal").

-Using another table on a separate sheet, populate the column to the right of properly substituted "Supplier" in the original CSV import. This column is for "General Ledger" descriptions. EX: Match "Paypal" with "8120 - Office Expenses"

Those are the main tasks of the program. The complicated part (in my opinion) is that there are multiple possibilities of suppliers for each GL. I have no clue how a problem like this is best handled and I am open to hearing different solutions.

Please see attached files to get a better idea of what I am trying to accomplish. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am struggling with VBA programs that are anything more than very basic.

Thank you

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back