Complicated Nested If Formula not behaving as expected?

Event2020

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I have a complicated nested if formula that's being used to conditionally take the contents of 4 cells on a row and depending what is or isn't in the cells and put the date into one cell with some additional html formatting.

I will explain as I go along if I may...

This is what it looks like with all for website address cells filled in and the formula converted to its value (so I could show what the formula actually produced.

The cells with web addresses are filled out from left to right, if you only have one website you put that in Cell a1 (leaving the others blank), if you have two websites then you put one address in Cell a1 and the next in B1 and so on.

The formula is supposed to look at the row and if there is only one website added it then adds the text " onto the end of the site address and return the site address+" while ignoring the empty spaces.

If there are two addresses it adds the " on the end on the 2nd address only, if there are three addresses it adds the " on the end of the third and so on.

That's what I'd like it to do but what its actually doing is, if there is only one website (in Cell a1), its adding "" four times instead of just once.

If there are two websites (one in Cell a1 and the other in Cell b1) its adding "" three times

And so on.

I can not figure out where I have gone wrong so I am hoping a fresh pair of eyes may help.

This is my formula (its rather long) due to the HTML code it has to add to either side of the websites...

Code:
=IF(A3<>"","<td><a href="&CHAR(34)&A3&CHAR(34)&" target="&CHAR(34)&"_blank"&CHAR(34)&">Click Here To View Website</a>","")&IF(B3="","</td>","")&IF(B3<>"","<a href="&CHAR(34)&B3&CHAR(34)&" target="&CHAR(34)&"_blank"&CHAR(34)&">Click Here To View Website</a>","")&IF(C3="","</td>","")&IF(C3<>"","<a href="&CHAR(34)&C3&CHAR(34)&" target="&CHAR(34)&"_blank"&CHAR(34)&">Click Here To View Website</a>","")&IF(D3="","</td>","")&IF(D3<>"","<a href="&CHAR(34)&D3&CHAR(34)&" target="&CHAR(34)&"_blank"&CHAR(34)&">Click Here To View Website</a>","")&"</td>"

Thanks everyone, I know this is a big ask :)

edit: I have tried to add the results that formula produced but this site wont let me because I'm guessing it contains html code :(

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Ive just noticed that this site has changed the html in my formula and is displaying "Click Here To View Website".

It is not spam I promise, I have been a member on here a long time now and I would not do that.

It seems that this site interprets code as code even when wrapped in the CODE quotes so I give up.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back