CONCATENATE using 2 SUM formulas

Darren_workforce

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have 3 cells (X2:Z2) that have values in them calculated from formulas.

X2: =SUMPRODUCT((--(B:B="trainer")*(A:A<>"")) (calculated value of 0)
Y2: =SUMPRODUCT((--(B:B="tl")*(A:A<>""))) (calculated value of 1)
Z2: =SUM(B5,B10) (calculated value of 12)
I also have a SUM formula in Y5: =SUM(X2:Z2) (calculated value of 13)

1682453594461.png

So far so good...However, I am attempting to combine the data into A2 using CONCATENATE and am having a problem. I'd like to display both the Z2 value (as that is the number of phone reps under the manager) and then Y5 (which displays the phone reps under the manager PLUS the non-phone reps under that same manager).

I used =("("&Z2&" Phone, "&Y5&" Total)") (with and without CONCAT at the front) which should display (12 Phone, 13 Total)...however, it either comes back as 0 value or I get the popup "Microsoft Excel cannot calculate a formula. There is a circular reference in an open workbook, but the references that cause it cannot be listed for you. Try editing the last formula you entered or removing it with the Undo command."

I'm confused where the circular reference might be as I'm referencing 2 different cell values in the CONCAT formula. The only thing I can think of is that the 13 is using the 12 but as I'm not doing any calculations within the CONCAT formula, should that be causing an issue since all the math was done previously?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
OK not sure what happened but the cells with the CONCAT formula seem to have displayed the correct information. However they were entered into a test cell. When I attempt to copy/paste into the cell I want them in, I am getting the same issues as above.

Upvote 0
The formulae in X2 & Y2 are looking at col A, but you have then put a formula in col A that looks at X2 & Y2, hence you get a circular reference.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajaykosuri

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back