Conditional, Dynamic Lists

alphaexcel

Board Regular
I am trying to create a dynamic, unique listing. I have two data lists (expanding 45,000 rows). They are as follows. I CANNOT use macros due to security constraints :

ARGENTINE PESO ··············Cash Account 1
ARGENTINE PESO ··············Cash Account 2
ARGENTINE PESO ··············Cash Account 3
AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR ·········Cash Account 1
AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR ·········Cash Account 4
AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR ·········Cash Account 7
AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR ·········Cash Account 9
AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR ·········Cash Account 15

I basically want to be able to type "Cash Account 1" in my control cell, and have a dynamic dropdown created that only summarises those currencies available in that cash account, so in this instance, it would be both ARGENTINE PESO and AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR. I have created a solution, but due to the 45,000 row range, it is very processor heavy, and I would like to be quicker i.e. type the cash account you want to analyse, and the combo box / data validation dropdown(?) will only show relevant currencies. I do not mind using helper cells and / or a master sheet to analyse each currency for true/false. Also, the columns can be reversed if that makes it easier. Thanks..

Glad you have it working -- that said I don't think you need worry about the COUNTA and having different formula in MAIN!F... if you ensure first formula in F goes in row 1 you can just the row id to determine the k in SMALL function

=IF(ISERROR(SMALL(LISTS!C:C,ROW(F1))),"",SMALL(LISTS!C:C,ROW(F1)))

and copy down for all rows in F that require formulae.

so F1 will look for k = 1 as ROW(F1) = 1, F2 will look for k = 2 as row(f2) = 2 etc...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I was going to try that but it cannot start in row 1 unfortunately. I will prob tidy this up some more going forward.

Thanks for your help...see what else i can do with the SMALL / LARGE functions...

L

Upvote 0
OK, you can obviously just alter the ROW function to offset from wherever you do choose to start your validation range -- say row 7 = ROW(F7)-6 and copy down etc... still quicker than running a COUNTA function x times I suspect.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yallaire64

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back