Conditional Formatting For Cells that include Names and Letters

bamaguy

Hi All,

I am trying to create a conditional formatting rule for a working spreadsheet we use at work. We have column A listed as a specific account new to our business. The person working on that item has their name in column B. In Column C it is left blank until that Item is completed then we insert an "X" marking it complete. My question is this, is there a way to create a rule for column C (where the X goes) if the name in column B is "BOB" and column C is Blank then it is formatted to a specific color for BOB. If the name in column B is Sally and column C is blank then her color formats the blank cell. This is so each employee can look and see his or her color on the sheet and know they have an item outstanding. Once this item is complete you enter an "X" and the cell goes back to being White fill.

Can someone assist me in this? I think I am so close to it but can not put a finger on it. I have done the conditional formatting in the Item complete or not cell by making a rule that says if blank then format Blue and once I enter an X it goes to white fill. I know there is a what to make them format the color based on the person's name in the cell beside it.

10Pts to Gryffindor if you can assist!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
If you want to do this through Conditional Formatting, you will have to create one rule for each person.

For example, select C2:C100 (or however far down your data goes) > Conditional Formatting > New Rule > Use a formula

=AND(B2="BOB",C2="")

Format: fill color of your choice > OK > OK

Repeat this for all names changing the formula and fill color for each.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back