conditional formatting for long list of cells

Klturi421

Board Regular
I am trying to conditionally format a sheet of 1000+ cells long but only if a certain condition is met. What I am trying to achieve is when A2 contains the text “Resting” and A1 contains “call” but to continue on through the document and to only highlight the immediate cell following the initial condition.

Essentially if it repeats to A550 and A551 then I would need it to highlight A551 again.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
AB
1callresting
2blahblah
3callresting
4balhblah

<tbody>
</tbody>
You should always contain a table with sample data when you post into a forum. That way viewers don't have to imagine what you are talking about. From what I understand, if A1 has the value "call" and B1 has the value "resting" then you want it to be conditionally formatted. You didn't say how you want it formatted, so I'm just going to say you want the cells highlighted green. So now A1 and B1 turn green. Then we look at A2 and B2. Since they don't have those values, you don't want them highlighted green. A3 and B3 do get highlighted green. A4 and B4 don't get highlighted green. Am I right about my assumptions.

Upvote 0
To accomplish what I stated in my previous post. Start by creating conditional formatting for A1 and A2. Once you have created it, you need to click on modify condition formatting rules. It will tell you that the conditional formatting rule you created applies to cells A2:B2. Change it to A2:B1000. Done.

Upvote 0
Sorry I didn't provide a sample before. Trying to do this on an iPhone sucks. My work blocks forums.

imagejpeg

It it should all be self contained within the same column. Not pulling from another column. I know I'm probably not as clear as I should be. Trying to visually word it as best as I can.

Upvote 0
Sorry it took so long to update, its been my first chance to get online since last night.

Original Format
Conditional Format
Call
Call
Call
Call
Rest
Rest
Call
Call
Rest
Rest
Call
Call
Call
Call
Call
Call
Rest
Rest
Call
Call

<tbody>
</tbody>

The conditional format wont pull from any other column than column B. Whenever rest follows call I need that cell to be highlighted.

Hopefully that helps to clarify a bit.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back