conditional formatting: highlight table row where cell month (text) matches current month?

BSWJON

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
As titled, could use help on achieving conditional formatting which highlights a table row if the month specified in column C matches the current month.

Could also use a second formula for highlighting in a different colour therows with a month which is coming up next (so if the current month is July, August dates would be highlighted).

As the table is for recurring annual checks, the data in column C is formatted as general (so text), not date.

I have tried this formula:

=TEXT($B3,”mmyy”)=TEXT(TODAY(),”mmyy”)

To no avail.

I've tried entering a July date in cell B3 as a date to see if that helps, which it doesn't!

I would post XL2BB code however it's gone and disappeared from my ribbon.

Table data starts in cell B3:

1626075584674.png

Many thanks as always.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Are you sure that your references are correct?
Your formula looks like it is referencing cell B3, but it looks like your dates are in column C, not column B.

What does this formula return?
=TYPE(B3)

Upvote 0
Hi Joe,

The help I found online stated that the reference in the formula is for the first cell in the table, not necessarily the date column.

The formula returns 1.

thanks for your help

Jon

Upvote 0
The help I found online stated that the reference in the formula is for the first cell in the table, not necessarily the date column.
I think that is only if your are referring to the fields by the header/field name.
But you aren't. You are using a range reference in your formula. So if you are going to use the range reference, you have to use the correct one.

Upvote 0
I think that is only if your are referring to the fields by the header/field name.
But you aren't. You are using a range reference in your formula. So if you are going to use the range reference, you have to use the correct one.
Thanks Joe

Could you suggest the changes I need to make to the formula?

I have tried changing the C3 to "table 1", "Month", changing mmyy to mmmm, nothing has worked so far.

Please excuse my ignorance...

Upvote 0
It important for us to accurately determine what exactly is in cell C3.
If you change the format of the entry in cell "C3" to "General", what value does it show?

Upvote 0
It important for us to accurately determine what exactly is in cell C3.
If you change the format of the entry in cell "C3" to "General", what value does it show?
Thanks for this. C3 is formatted as general.

Copy of Annual Regulatory Returns.xlsm
BCDE
2RefMonthRegulatorReturn/Task
31JanuarySEPASPRI Information
Annual Returns-Considerations
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
B3:AF13Expression=$C3="T1"textNO

Thanks Peter, your fix worked a treat.

Upvote 0
If C3 is formatted as "General", and returns "January", then it is definitely a text entry (and not a date one).

The Conditional Formatting formula you posted shows:
Excel Formula:
=$C3="T1"
that is checking to see if the value in cell C3 is equal to the text value of "T1", which I don't think will ever be true (I am not sure where you are getting the "T1" from).

If you simply want to check to see if the value in C3 is equal to the current month, then you would use
Excel Formula:
=$C3=TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back