Conditional Formatting-simple

MCosca

I am not understanding this and obviously doing something wrong because this sounds very simple

All I want to do is have the value in column N turn yellow if it doesnt equal the value in column J.

What am I doing wrong? The cell is yellow and stays

=n2<>j2

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
What cell is selected when you enter this formula?
Is it cell N2?

Are you sure that you do not have any manual formatting being applied, or any other conditional formatting rules that may be interfering with this?

Upvote 0
If the comparison starts in row 2.
Then the range to apply must also start in row 2, for example:

varios 09nov2023b.xlsm
JKLMN
dam3
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
N2:N10Expression=N2<>J2textNO

Upvote 0
What cell is selected when you enter this formula?
Is it cell N2?

Are you sure that you do not have any manual formatting being applied, or any other conditional formatting rules that may be interfering with this?
Yes I am entering the formula in cell N2 - I want cell N2 (and the column) to turn yellow when the value doesnt equal J2. Does it matter if its text?

Upvote 0
If the comparison starts in row 2.
Then the range to apply must also start in row 2, for example:

varios 09nov2023b.xlsm
JKLMN
dam3
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
N2:N10Expression=N2<>J2textNO
1699570410494.png

Upvote 0
1699572111776.png

It is difficult to know the contents of the cells with that image.

You could provide a minisheet with the XL2BB tool.

Maybe some of the 8810 have spaces on the left or right inside the cell.
:unsure:

Note XL2BB:
For the future, it would help greatly if you could give us the sample data in a form that we can copy to test with, rather that a picture.​
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in
Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.​

Upvote 0
Can't tell from your image what cells your 8810 values are in. Say they are in row 100, put this formula anywhere on your sheet: =J100=N100. If the result is TRUE then they are the same, if it's FALSE then they're not the same.

Upvote 0
View attachment 101730

It is difficult to know the contents of the cells with that image.

You could provide a minisheet with the XL2BB tool.

Maybe some of the 8810 have spaces on the left or right inside the cell.
:unsure:

Note XL2BB:
For the future, it would help greatly if you could give us the sample data in a form that we can copy to test with, rather that a picture.​
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in
Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.​
I wasnt aware of this. I cannot access XL2BB on my work machine. I followed the instruction and it isnt available.

The pictured cells were J2 & J3, N2 & N3. It does seem that there may be spaces ahead of the text in J2, J3 & N2, N3
1699623239674.png

Upvote 0
There are 4 tabs on this sheet. The first is called Paste Data HERE. Our staff takes excel info, pastes it then a MACRO to format the data to the "Summarized Data" tab. It is on this tab where I am trying to Conditionally format. If column N does not equal column J then I want it yellow or highlighted in general so they can see the difference.

I thought I had it figured out adding a step in the Macro, to TRIM the values but I must not have done it correctly because it still had the extra balnk spaces in column N.

Thank you so much for taking the time to assist me!!!

Drive file

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back