Conditional formatting to hide rows

Erica2261

Is there a way to hide rows in a spreadsheet based on the results in a given cell within each row? For example, if the result cell C6 is "inactive" can the entire row be hidden (and the same for all other rows in the range)?

I don't know how to code so I am trying to do this with a formula through conditional formatting. I am using Excel 2002.

Thanks!
Erica

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.

VoG

Legend
You will need code for that.

What is the entire range and what causes a cell to contain "inactive" - do you enter that or does C6 contain a formula?

Erica2261

Thanks -

C6 contains the following formula:

=IF(OR(F7>$B$3,G7< $B$3),"inactive","active")

Range is A6:Z11

I am reasonably good with spreadsheets but never coded before so not sure code will help me!

Erica

VoG

Legend
Try this: right click the sheet tab, select View Code and paste in

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
Dim i As Long
For i = 6 To 11
    Rows(i).Hidden = Range("C" & i).Value = "inactive"
Next i
End Sub
then press ALT + Q to close the code window. Press F9 to force a recalculation to see the effect.

Erica2261

VoG -

That was really cool and worked great. ..I have a follow-up question though. My spreadsheet is designed so that users can enter a date into cell $B$3 which drives whether the formula in C6 returns "active" or "inactive".

When I used your code with a date of 6/30/10 the inactive rows were hidden (which is great); however, when I changed the date to 8/6/10 (which flipped a cell from inactive to active) the row stayed hidden. Can I modify the code to unhide the row if the status changes?

Erica

Erica2261

VoG -

Please ignore prior posting. Not sure what I did, but it is working as intended now!

Thank you very much.
Erica

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmajewsk

This Week's Hot Topics

• Turn fraction around
    Hello I need to turn a fraction around, for example I have 1/3 but I need to present as 3/1
  • TIme Clock record reformatting to ???
    Hello All, I'd like some help formatting this (Tbl-A)(Loaded via Power Query) [ATTACH type="full" width="511px" alt="PQdata.png"]22252[/ATTACH]...
  • TextBox Match
    hi, I am having a few issues with my code below, what I need it to do is when they enter a value in textbox8 (QTY) either 1,2 or 3 the 3 textboxes...
  • Using Large function based on Multiple Criteria
    Hello, I can't seem to get a Large formula to work based on two criteria's. I can easily get a oldest value based one value, but I'm struggling...
  • Can you check my code please
    Hi, Im going round in circles with a Compil Error End With Without With Here is the code [CODE=rich] Private Sub...
  • Combining 2 pivot tables into 1 chart
    Hello everyone, My question sounds simple but I do not know the answer. I have 2 pivot tables and 2 charts that go with this. However I want to...