Conditional Formatting while checking for data validation against data in a Table

asorifice

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I want to enter data in a cell in one tab of a spreadsheet , check it against values in a table (in another tab in the same spreadsheet), allow the entry either way but use conditional formatting to highlight the data if it is not found in the table. Possibly also adding a warning message about the non matching data

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
That can be done. We Need an example of the value and the data table. The warning message isn't possible; not as an automatic thing

Upvote 0
That can be done. We Need an example of the value and the data table. The warning message isn't possible; not as an automatic thing

Thanks Jefferey hope this helps

The mapping value would be the Product value
This is the tab where the user would enter data into the product field
They enter a product value and if it matches a value in the table then the other info is mapped in from the table, if it doesnt match (second entry) then no data is mapped and the entry is highlighted
ProductVendorTQ Approved Version(s)
Entry with a match in the source dataANSYS IcepakAnsys2020 R2, 2019 R3, 2021R1, 2020R1, 2021R2
Entry with no match in the tablea;ldkf;lakjf

The data from the source / table tab in the same spreadsheet
Product
VendorToolQuest Version
ANSYS IcepakAnsys2020 R2, 2019 R3, 2021R1, 2020R1, 2021R2

Is this the information you are looking for?

Upvote 0
Conditional Formatting Formula. This assumes your product column is Column A and the same for the product list. You may want to turn your product list data into a table and reference the Product column by its Excel TABLE format, or use a dynamic named range
=AND(COUNTIF('Product List'!$A:$A,$A2)=0,$A2<>"")

You can also add a Data Validation for the same range so it will display an error if a value doesn't match. IF you want it to accept the wrong value but only display the error then Choose Information Style Error. Again, an Excel TABLE reference would be better.
1638687835546.png

1638687775396.png

Upvote 0
Conditional Formatting Formula. This assumes your product column is Column A and the same for the product list. You may want to turn your product list data into a table and reference the Product column by its Excel TABLE format, or use a dynamic named range
=AND(COUNTIF('Product List'!$A:$A,$A2)=0,$A2<>"")

You can also add a Data Validation for the same range so it will display an error if a value doesn't match. IF you want it to accept the wrong value but only display the error then Choose Information Style Error. Again, an Excel TABLE reference would be better.
View attachment 52704
View attachment 52702
Thanks Jeffrey Well we are getting closer I love the idea of a conditional formatting with Style Information. The user can enter invalid data with just a warning and not an error
Now onto the conditional formatting I am still stuck reference error messages below
My user data entries are on Sheet 2 of my workbook the heading is Product List with the user entries starting in A2 and the Table with the reference data is called Product_List and the field name in that table is Product List and that title is in A1 , with the data starting in A2. The tab in the workbook with the Table is Sheet1
I go to Conditional Formatting , select New Rule, Select use a formula and have been trying a few secenarios with these errors
I tried entering the formula into cell A2 on Sheet 2 where the user entries are and as shown below in this first image
1638769469910.png

Upvote 0
In that formula I used a sheet named called "Product List". You will need to use the sheet name you have for the data list.

Upvote 0
If you have repeats in your Product List, you may want to Add a formula in another range that shows only the unique values
Cell R2: =UNIQUE(A:A)

Formula for Named Range stored in Column R. I named mine UPL. Now you can reference UPL in the conditional formatting and data validation
=OFFSET(R:R,1,0,COUNTA(R:R))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back