Conditional text in chart

hedgie

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I prepare charts every month based on performance. Until the performance is finalized, each chart must have 'EST." added to the final data label. There is a simple "yes/No" dropdown box that indicates whether the data is an estimate or final. Is there a way to automate the addition of the text into the last data label of a series? Currently I simply add a text box to each chart manually - the issue is there are quite a few charts and secondly it is very easy to either miss adding or removing these boxes when appropirate.

Thoughts?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Why dont you reference your chart title to the validation cell which contains Est 'Yes' or 'No'

Click the chart title & reference to a cell, in that cell type your chart title

="Chart Title "&A1 (A1 being your validation cell)

This way the chart title wont change, but each time the validation cell is changed it will read - Chart Title & Yes (change as required)

??

Upvote 0
This would highlight if I need to do a manual change - which is helpful, but has the problem of having the estimated chart having an incorrect title.

Is it possible to reference the data series label to a cell?

Upvote 0
I found a possible solution, but I can't make it work. I think if I use multi-level categories i can get the right effect. Rather than data labels I would use the sub category to equal the data label values plus &" Est." where applicable. The problem is that the subcategory column is not adjacent to the main category column. Is it possible to properly format the data selection to make this work?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessbob

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back