Consolidate unique rows across multiple tables AND detect when unique row not repeated on next table

justtryingtolearn

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Every week, my client publishes an updated version of the same workbook. Every new version contains additions, removals, and changes to the data inherited from the previous version. What I need to do quarterly is combine all these workbooks from the given quarter into one, but I cannot simply append every record as this blows past Excel's 1,048,576 row limit (each version contains about 100,000 rows). What I need instead is to grab only the unique rows across every version. One column on each workbook is dedicated to serving as a redundant workbook version date. If a record stayed the same from versions 1/1/2022 to 1/8/2022, I would need a way of ignoring this column or else it would be detected as a change and get appended despite no real change occurring. In addition to grabbing unique rows, I also need to see when a record dropped out from one version to another. In summary, I need to know what was added, removed, or changed between versions and when.

Version 1
Book2.xlsx
ABCD
1Version DateProduct IDAvailabilityQC
21/1/20221001In StockY
31/1/20221002Not Available
41/1/20221003In StockY
51/1/20221004Not Available

Version 2
Book2.xlsx
ABCD
1Version DateProduct IDAvailabilityQC
21/8/20221001Not AvailableY
31/8/20221002Not Available
41/8/20221004Not Available

Desired Consolidated View
Book2.xlsx
ABCDE
1Version DateProduct IDAvailabilityQCDate Removed
21/1/20221001In StockY
31/8/20221001Not AvailableY
41/1/20221002Not Available
51/1/20221003In StockY1/8/2022
61/1/20221004Not Available
Consolidated

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hi! Have you thought about loading the data in through Power Query? Data in the PQ data engine is not subject to excel's row limits. You can combine all of your workbooks into one query and then pretty easily filter out all the duplicates and output the remainder to the worksheet (assuming the number of uniques is also <1M).

Upvote 0
Hi! Have you thought about loading the data in through Power Query? Data in the PQ data engine is not subject to excel's row limits. You can combine all of your workbooks into one query and then pretty easily filter out all the duplicates and output the remainder to the worksheet (assuming the number of uniques is also <1M).
I am a Power Query newb, but I have successfully consolidated unique rows and removed duplicates (while ignoring the date column), but I haven't yet been able to account for removals. There isn't a
Date Removed column present in the workbooks, I just added that in on the Desired Consolidated View. Any ideas how to get a Date Removed column up and running?

Upvote 0
I am a Power Query newb, but I have successfully consolidated unique rows and removed duplicates (while ignoring the date column), but I haven't yet been able to account for removals. There isn't a
Date Removed column present in the workbooks, I just added that in on the Desired Consolidated View. Any ideas how to get a Date Removed column up and running?
After taking a closer look, in your consolidated table from the first post, should the date removed 1/8/22 belong in the row for 1002 instead of 1003? Item 1002 was unavailable on 1/1 and also on 1/8 (no change), so the 1/8 date should be ignored, correct? And shouldn't there also be a 1/8 for item 1004 in the consolidated table?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back