Conversion Rounding issue with CM to In to (Ft and Inches).

Dmichigan05

Office Version
  1. 365
I have an attachment for anyone whom can help me. I am looking to make the rounding method in the end of my function round these up instead of saying 1ft 12in. It will only happen right now when I use very specific centimeters meters or millimeters because the formula is recognizing the inches as a decimal of 11.8 and thus rounding to 12. Problem is the formula doesn't recognize when it's 12 inches that it needs to then say 2FT 0In. instead.
CMWeight KgsINCHESFEET & INWeight LBS
LengthWidthHeightLengthWidthHeightLengthWidthHeight
3000012000' 11.8"0' 0"0' 0"0
6000024001' 11.6"0' 0"0' 0"0
9100036002' 11.8"0' 0"0' 0"0
12100048003' 11.6"0' 0"0' 0"0
15200060004' 11.8"0' 0"0' 0"0
18200072005' 11.7"0' 0"0' 0"0
21300084006' 11.9"0' 0"0' 0"0

=INT(I4/12)&"' "&ROUND(MOD(I4,12),1)&"""" = the current formula in the feet and inches area.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
I am in the U.S.A. as well Rick. It does work now Rick this is also a good solution. I had to fix where your A1 was on my end I clicked the inches one instead of centimeters on my end. Your solution is a good solution as well. Do you know if your solution will work for meters and Millimeters as well? Or will it be a different formula? Thanks
It will be a different formula. I am away from my computer right now... I will look at it when I get back to my computer. However, show me a sample of how the converted value should look (I am interested in how the parts should be labeled).

Upvote 0
It will be a different formula. I am away from my computer right now... I will look at it when I get back to my computer. However, show me a sample of how the converted value should look (I am interested in how the parts should be labeled).
Hello @ Rick,
It would look the same as that one except going from Meters to Inches to Ft and Inches
Then for MM's to inches and FT and Inches. but in the same formatting as the CM's you just solved was. Thanks

Upvote 0
Convert from (decimal) centimeter to (literial text) feet-inches with round-off 1/16
Note: if you want round-off to different value such as 1/8 1/4, 1/2, 1..., just replace 1/16 with your round-off number.

Phh

Excel Formula:
=IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(A1)),"n/a",
 IF(OR(MROUND(A1/2.54,SIGN(A1)*1/16)>=12,MROUND(A1/2.54,SIGN(A1)*1/16)<=-12),
 ROUNDDOWN(MROUND(A1/2.54,SIGN(A1)*1/16)/12,0)&"'-"&TEXT(MOD(MROUND(ABS(A1/2.54),1/16),12),"0 #/##")&"""",
 TEXT(MROUND(A1/2.54,SIGN(A1)*1/16),"# #/##")&""""))

Upvote 0
Hello @ Rick,
It would look the same as that one except going from Meters to Inches to Ft and Inches
Then for MM's to inches and FT and Inches. but in the same formatting as the CM's you just solved was. Thanks
Other formula variant, use lambda function if you know your conversion factor and round-off to the number of your choose

Lambda function for convert decimal value to imperial feet-inches fraction, text format [#'-# #/#"]

Parameters notes:
varN = Required, decimal number value to be converted (ex: A1, B10, C15, etc...)
cFact = Required, conversion factor value (1 = inch, 1/12 = feet, 25.4 = millimeter, 2.54 = centimeter, 0.0254 = meter, etc...)
rdOff = Required, rounded to the desired multiple (ex: 12, 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/4096, etc...)

Ex:
Excel name: testfunc (or some meaningful name)
usage: testfunc(varN, cFact, rdOff)

Excel Formula:
=lambda(varN, cFact, rdOff,
 IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(varN)),"n/a",
 IF(OR(MROUND(varN/cFact,SIGN(varN)*cFact)>=12,MROUND(varN/cFact,SIGN(varN)*cFact)<=-12),
 ROUNDDOWN(MROUND(varN/cFact,SIGN(varN)*rdOff)/12,0)&"'-"&TEXT(MOD(MROUND(ABS(varN/cFact),rdOff),12),"0 #/####")&"""",
 TEXT(MROUND(varN/cFact,SIGN(varN)*rdOff),"# #/####")&""""))
)

Upvote 0
Formula correction from previous post
Second IF statement should remove "cFact" and replace with "rdOff"
FormulaCorrection.PNG

The formula should be:
Excel Formula:
=lambda(varN, cFact, rdOff,
 IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(varN)),"n/a",
 IF(OR(MROUND(varN/cFact,SIGN(varN)*rdOff)>=12,MROUND(varN/cFact,SIGN(varN)*rdOff)<=-12),
 ROUNDDOWN(MROUND(varN/cFact,SIGN(varN)*rdOff)/12,0)&"'-"&TEXT(MOD(MROUND(ABS(varN/cFact),rdOff),12),"0 #/####")&"""",
 TEXT(MROUND(varN/cFact,SIGN(varN)*rdOff),"# #/####")&""""))
)

My bad!, My apology for the error!

Phh

Upvote 0
Hello Everyone,

At home, my Excel version not lambda capable like at work and I unable to test out, can you help?
To confirm that if I wrap the SUM function around "VarN" in the calculation for performing range computation does the formula still work?

Thanks,

Phh

Excel Formula:
=lambda(VarN, cFact, rdOff,
 IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(SUM(VarN))),"n/a",
 IF(OR(MROUND(SUM(VarN)/cFact,SIGN(SUM(VarN))*rdOff)>=12,MROUND(SUM(VarN)/cFact,SIGN(SUM(VarN))*rdOff)<=-12),
 ROUNDDOWN(MROUND(SUM(VarN)/cFact,SIGN(SUM(VarN))*rdOff)/12,0)&"'-"&TEXT(MOD(MROUND(ABS(SUM(VarN)/cFact),rdOff),12),"0 #/####")&"""",
 TEXT(MROUND(SUM(VarN)/cFact,SIGN(SUM(VarN))*rdOff),"# #/####")&""""))
)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back