Convert ASCII file to an excel spreadsheet

Nxgagnie

I have a fixed text ASCII file that I need converted to an excel spreadsheet. Is this something I can do myself? Or is there a program or software I can download to do this?

The file is a zipcode file I purchased from the USPS.

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.

SydneyGeek

MrExcel MVP
Try, from Excel, opening the file. You will be asked to browse to the file: select the data type (Text files) or All files, locate the file, and click Open.
A wizard will launch, letting you select whether the file is delimited (select this if it has tabs, commas or other separators), or fixed width.
Click OK. If you selected Delimited, you will see the options. click (or enter) the one that your file uses, click OK, and you're done. Otherwise, you will see divider lines running down a sample of your data. Delete the ones that don't apply by double-clicking. Move the other lines until they are in the right place (click and drag). If any dividers are missing, double-click where they should be.
Click OK and finish the wizard.

You have to PAY for that in US? It's free in Oz! :biggrin:

Denis

Nxgagnie

You are too kind! On the USPS website they tell you that software has to be written or purchased to open the file. They make it sound very complicted. But, it sounds like I should be able to open it and get the data myself.

SydneyGeek

MrExcel MVP
Just to check, try opening the file in Notepad. Right-click, Open With... and pick Notepad. That will tell you what delimeters (if any) are used.

If it's commas, change the extension to .csv and double-click. Excel will open it directly.

Denis

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DessertDiva