Convert CSV Unicode Text type to CSV MS-DOS type

Enna

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have multiple large CSV files. I would like to change the file type from Unicode text to MS-DOS without opening all the files. Is there a way to do that? Thank you

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
What kind of Unicode, specifically?

Upvote 0
It says “Unicode Text” - I think it is utf-8
There a few different kinds of Unicode. Some like UTF-8 do not generally require any conversion.

Your conversion question cannot be answered without the details of the specific UTF type/encoding of the files that you want to convert. You can determine the type by examining the Byte Order Marker (BOM) at the beginning of your Unicode .csv file. Alternatively, there is this free ware text editor that will display the encoding in the statusbar at the bottom. It should also convert the file to a different encoding, but only one by one.

Upvote 0
I would like to change Ms-dos otherwise I could not use, but there are many Csv files (all files within one folder) and they are very large. Is there a vba code ? Thank you

Upvote 0
I would like to change Ms-dos otherwise I could not use, but there are many Csv files (all files within one folder) and they are very large. Is there a vba code ? Thank you
I don't understand. If it really is UTF-8 you should be able to use that .csv exactly as if it was a "DOS" generated CSV. No conversion. No special treatment.

Upvote 0
I don't understand. If it really is UTF-8 you should be able to use that .csv exactly as if it was a "DOS" generated CSV. No conversion. No special treatment.
Maybe it is a comma dlm csv because when I open and changed to Ms-dos I could use.

Upvote 0
A very simple way that may work for you is to open a Windows command window (cmd.exe) and type this command:

TYPE MyUnicodeFile.csv > MyASCIIFile.csv

Try it one one file, and if it works then to process many files, create a window batch file with an entry for each file you want to convert. i.e.
Code:
TYPE MyUnicodeFile1.csv  >   MyASCIIFile1.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile2.csv  >   MyASCIIFile2.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile3.csv  >   MyASCIIFile3.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile4.csv  >   MyASCIIFile4.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile5.csv  >   MyASCIIFile5.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile6.csv  >   MyASCIIFile6.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile7.csv  >   MyASCIIFile7.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile8.csv  >   MyASCIIFile8.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile9.csv  >   MyASCIIFile9.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile10.csv  >   MyASCIIFile10.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile11.csv  >   MyASCIIFile11.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile12.csv  >   MyASCIIFile12.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile13.csv  >   MyASCIIFile13.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile14.csv  >   MyASCIIFile14.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile15.csv  >   MyASCIIFile15.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile16.csv  >   MyASCIIFile16.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile17.csv  >   MyASCIIFile17.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile18.csv  >   MyASCIIFile18.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile19.csv  >   MyASCIIFile19.csv
TYPE MyUnicodeFile20.csv  >   MyASCIIFile20.csv

Upvote 0
Hi, maybe it's a BOM file so if you can link one original file and its 'MS-DOS' version on a files host website like Dropbox in order to check them …​

Upvote 0
Hi, maybe it's a BOM file so if you can link one original file and its 'MS-DOS' version on a files host website like Dropbox in order to check them …​
Hi. I dont have Dropbox account and those csv files so large. Also, I do not have an access via cmd. So, how can I change multiple csv files in one folder without opening from "unicode text" CSV file to " CSV MS-DOS" file? Thank you

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back