Convert data to number from external source and then Auto-sort data

aggiemarine07

Happy New Year!

I have a question for the general populace here on the forums since yall have been excellent at helping me with my many excel issues. I have yet another question to further help me automate some of our processes around the office.

I currently have a excel file that pulls data from 5 other files within the same folder. 4 of these files are fine as they are user generated and then simply inserted into the folder and in turn auto-updating the master excel file (named master.xls). However, one of these files is generated by a system and is then exported to a simple excel file (named stats.xls). The data within this excel file is automatically formatted as text. In order for it to work within the master excel file it needs to be converted to a number.

Currently, I have to manually convert the file to a number (open it up, select all, then select convert to number and finally save it).

My question is this, is it possible to have the master excel file (master.xls) pull the data from the system excel file (stats.xls) and automatically convert that pulled data to a number in order for the master.xls formulas work correctly? If it is possible what vba would I need to do it? Thanks in advance!

this code will be ran on the "DATA" sheet within the master.xls document

I probably worded the question poorly, I wanted the sheetname of the sheet in rostergrid that needs the formatting changing but you can change that (see the red font below).

dynamic paths in my other VBA code
Don't know what you mean by "dynamic". ThisWorkbook.path (which is what "same root folder as the master.xls" indicates to me) isn't dynamic it is fixed based on the current workbooks path.

The nearest you normally get to dynamic is bringing up a dialogbox.

Anyway, code below in the master workbook.

Code:
Sub getit()
    Dim wb As Workbook, lc As Long, i As Long

Set wb = Workbooks.Open(ThisWorkbook.Path & "\rostergrid.XLS")

With wb.Sheets("[COLOR="#FF0000"]DATA[/COLOR]")

.Cells.NumberFormat = "General"
        lc = .Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchOrder:=xlColumns, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, LookIn:=xlValues).Column
        For i = 1 To lc
            .Columns(i).TextToColumns Destination:=.Cells(1, i), DataType:=xlDelimited, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False _
                                    , FieldInfo:=Array(1, 1), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True
        Next

End With
End Sub

Is it possible to create something like what you made (button, code and all)

I am sure that you are capable of creating a button and assigning a macro to it on the master sheet yourself

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Sweet! Code works really well!

I said dynamic path but I think the term that I meant is a relative path.

Again, thank you for all your help with this!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back