Converting 2010 Macro Enabled Excel File to 2003- Size very Large

tbakbradley

Board Regular
Several years ago, I created a simple Spreadsheet with a few Macros (Excel 2003). The project grew to a point where IT actually merged the Excel file into their SQL Database System (which our work group receives Requests). The IT System will Read from and Write To the spreadsheet.

The file has grown considerably with additional requirements, such as extra Tables for lookups, advanced calculations, and several Macros. When working in Excel 2003, the file size was not a problem. However, the large Database System (Web Based) does not support .XLSM. I informed the the IT team two years ago of the problem that would be coming, and we are here. The entire company has migrated to Office 2010. IT has no plans to support .XLSM. I am now maintaining this Excel Form via Excel 2010, but must save the file to 2003 (and originally created in 2003).

When I save the file to version 2003 from Excel 2010, the File size is 6.3MB. However, if I save the file as Macro Enabled File (.XLSM), it is only 2.1MB. There are several issues with the System we use, and it's been very slow for the last couple years and the 6.3MB file is causing several time outs in the system when it tries to Read/Write.

This is lengthy, but wanted to make sure the details were provided. What is the reason for the file tripling in size by saving it as a 2003 file compared to .XLSM? I assume overhead, headers, etc. Is there anything that can be done so that the 2003 format (when saved vis Excel 2010) is no bigger than the .XLSM File?

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Bump.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. Our IT group doesn't have a clue, and because they don't support .XLSM, the file is extremely large saving to Excel 2003, and creating time outs in the system.

Upvote 0
An .xlsm file is actually a zipped folder, so will generally be quite a bit smaller than an equivalent .xls file. In this day and age I'd be pretty worried about a system that can't deal with a 6MB file.

Upvote 0
An .xlsm file is actually a zipped folder, so will generally be quite a bit smaller than an equivalent .xls file. In this day and age I'd be pretty worried about a system that can't deal with a 6MB file.

Thank you. I didn't realize .xlsm was zipped. We are VERY worried about the system. Under new management and IT work moved over seas. A once incredible system now takes up to 45 seconds per page to load.

Upvote 0
Under new management and IT work moved over seas.

Yep - I think that has happened in every company I've ever worked in at some point. I have yet to see it improve things.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back