Copy Formula where cell is blank vba

Wards199

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi,

I have a spreadsheet (example below) where I need the columns F:P summed for the rows above every time column A has 'Total' in it ( so for example with employee 1, columns F:P would be summed in row 26 and would contain the values form F2:P25). As you can see from Employee 1 to Employee 2 the number of rows will differ therefore making it tricky than otherwise would be. I've been playing around with various things in VBA but have yet to find something that does exactly what i require. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

1630576631262.png

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

For the future this would be helpful as we cannot copy from an image to test with: MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Try this with a copy of your workbook.
I have assumed those numbers are not the result of formulas.

VBA Code:
Sub InsertTotals()
  Dim rA As Range

For Each rA In Columns("F:P").SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlNumbers).Areas
    rA.Rows(rA.Rows.Count + 1).FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R" & rA.Row & "C:R[-1]C)"
  Next rA
End Sub

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

For the future this would be helpful as we cannot copy from an image to test with: MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Try this with a copy of your workbook.
I have assumed those numbers are not the result of formulas.

VBA Code:
Sub InsertTotals()
  Dim rA As Range

For Each rA In Columns("F:P").SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlNumbers).Areas
    rA.Rows(rA.Rows.Count + 1).FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R" & rA.Row & "C:R[-1]C)"
  Next rA
End Sub
Thanks Peter. Apologies for the image rather than the XL2BB sample.

The code above works fine for the example I sent but it is my fault for not sending a totally accurate example so apologies for this.

With the above code, if there is a blank in the range F:P then the sum gets filled into that blank cell which then would not give an accurate representation in the total column. What I am after, apologies for giving a rubbish example, is the rows where the cell value is Total in column A is for those rows, and only those rows the values above are summed. To help with the explanation, using my example above, if task 2 had 20 blank cells and then 4 cells with values in the sum of all 24 rows would appear in cell G26.

Upvote 0
Let's see if column C is a true reflection then.

VBA Code:
Sub InsertTotals_v2()
  Dim rA As Range

For Each rA In Range("C2", Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlTextValues).Areas
    rA.Cells(rA.Rows.Count + 1, 4).Resize(, 11).FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R" & rA.Row & "C:R[-1]C)"
  Next rA
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Let's see if column C is a true reflection then.

VBA Code:
Sub InsertTotals_v2()
  Dim rA As Range

For Each rA In Range("C2", Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlTextValues).Areas
    rA.Cells(rA.Rows.Count + 1, 4).Resize(, 11).FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R" & rA.Row & "C:R[-1]C)"
  Next rA
End Sub
Briliant, thanks Peter. That is doing the trick nicely! I'll mark this as the solution shortly but one last thing, not sure I will end up using this but just in case, if I wanted to call this for a specific sheet (let's call this sheet "Main") from another sheet, how would this change the code?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
if I wanted to call this for a specific sheet (let's call this sheet "Main") from another sheet, how would this change the code?

VBA Code:
Sub InsertTotals_v3()
  Dim rA As Range

With Sheets("Main")
    For Each rA In .Range("C2", .Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlTextValues).Areas
    Next rA
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back