Copy named range 4 columns over repeatedly-Macro?

StorminASU

Hey Everyone,
I have a worksheet that is tracking payroll by department by bi-weekly payroll period. In one column (Column C for example) is the current payroll period payroll figure and in column G, as a comparison, is the prior year's figure for the equivalent period. There are 26 payroll periods running horizontally, with the departments listed vertically. At the end of each fiscal year, I would like to push a "magic button," which would move all of the independent current payroll periods to the similar prior period column which is 4 columns over for each period. I think I might have to make 26 macros and then just make a master button. Can anyone provide this macro extreme-noob with some help? TIA

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
You could try:

Code:
Sub RollYear()
Dim s As Variant
With ActiveSheet
For Each s In Array("E", "G")
    .Range(s & ":" & s).Offset(0, 4) = .Range(s & ":" & s).Value
    .Columns(s).ClearContents
Next s
End With
End Sub

Just replace/add to "E", "G" with the actual columns that you want to move forward.

ALT+F11
Insert=>Module
Paste the Code
Run from the Macro Menu

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the quick response.

How would I make sure "C" went to "G", then "L" to "Q", etc? Would I just copy this 26 times (moving the end sub to the bottom, not copying it of course)?

Upvote 0
Also, I can't move the whole column over, I will only need to move rows 5-27 and rows 35-57. Is that still possible?

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm very sorry to flood this thread, but I have gotten this far, just need some clarification if anyone has time.
Code:
Sub RollYear()Dim s As Variant[br]Dim resp As Long[br]resp = MsgBox(prompt:="Are you sure you want to clear rollover Current Year to Prior Year?", Buttons:=vbYesNo)[br]If resp = vbNo Then[br]Exit Sub[br]End If[br]
With ActiveSheetActiveSheet.UnprotectFor Each s In Range("c5:c27")    .Range(s & ":" & s).Offset(0, 4) = .Range(s & ":" & s).Value    .Range("c5:c27").ClearContentsNext sEnd WithExit SubWith ActiveSheetFor Each s In Range("l5:l27")    .Range(s & ":" & s).Offset(0, 5) = .Range(s & ":" & s).Value    .Range("l5:l27").ClearContentsNext sEnd WithEnd Sub

I need two subs because the first range is going to move 4 columns over, whereas every other range will move 5 columns over. Is there a way to do this in one sub?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Short answer, yes, but I'll have to look at it tomorrow from work. On linux atm.

Upvote 0
Here is what I have so far, but it appears to be stopping after the first sub runs. Again, thanks so much for all your help.
Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim s As Variant
Dim resp As Long
resp = MsgBox(prompt:="You are about to clear ALL current year payroll information.  Are you sure you want to continue?", Buttons:=vbYesNo)
If resp = vbNo Then
Exit Sub
End If

resp = MsgBox(prompt:="Are you sure you want to complete the rollover from current year to prior year?", Buttons:=vbYesNo)
If resp = vbNo Then
Exit Sub
End If

With ActiveSheet
ActiveSheet.Unprotect
For Each s In Array("c5:c27", "c35:c57")
    .Range(s & ":" & s).Offset(0, 4) = .Range(s & ":" & s).Value
    .Range("c5:c27,c35:c57").ClearContents
Next s
End With

With ActiveSheet
For Each s In Array("l5:l27", "w5:w27", "ah5:ah27", "as5:as27", "bd5:bd27", "bo5:bo27", "bz5:bz27", "ck5:ck27", "cv5:cv27", "dg5:dg27", "dr5:dr27", "ec5:ec27", "en5:en27", "ey5:ey27", "fj5:fj27", "fu5:fu27", "gf5:gf27", "gq5:gq27", "hb5:hb27", "hm5:hm27", "hx5:hx27", "ii5:ii27", "it5:it27", "je5:je27", "jp5:jp27", "l35:l57", "w35:w57", "ah35:ah57", "as35:as57", "bd35:bd57", "bo35:bo57", "bz35:bz57", "ck35:ck57", "cv35:cv57", "dg35:dg57", "dr35:dr57", "ec35:ec57", "en35:en57", "ey35:ey57", "fj35:fj57", "fu35:fu57", "gf35:gf57", "gq35:gq57", "hb35:hb57", "hm35:hm57", "hx35:hx57", "ii35:ii57", "it35:it57", "je35:je57", "jp35:jp57")
    .Range(s & ":" & s).Offset(0, 5) = .Range(s & ":" & s).Value
    .Range("CurrentYearActual,CurrentYearOT").ClearContents

ActiveSheet.Protect

End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Would anyone have time to take a look at the code above to see why it isn't progressing to the next sub?

Sorry I'm so new at this stuff, I'm sure it's something obvious I'm overlooking. TIA for the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodeCybear

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back