Copy/ Paste via barcode scanner on Userform...

Stu Dapples

I have built a nice little userform which has all the bells and whistles to capture information about measurement we do in process. Nothing too detailed but the I need is to be able to concatenate some of the fields captured by the user (using a barcode scanner) to create a filename.
Basically, they scan part number, serial number, operational stage and sentence (pass, fail etc)
From the info they scan, I concatenate the serial number, op stage and loop (using a simple count)
This transforms, for example,
F12345
1st Measure
Loop 3

Into a string:

F12345-A3

Which is the filename they must save under (in a different program)

I can get this to copy to clipboard but does anyone know if it is possible to program a barcode scanner with a paste command? As it can be done via a keyboard (Ctrl-V) I guess it can but having searched, I cant find anything....

Many thanks in anticipation,

Stu

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Just realsied this is a little off Excel topic so apologies for that but if anyone knows, I would still appreciate it! ;)

Upvote 0
... the filename they must save under (in a different program)... I can get this to copy to clipboard but does anyone know if it is possible to program a barcode scanner with a paste command?
Not "program a barcode scanner with a paste command" but if your VBA has the filename, instead of copying it to the clipboard, you can write it directly to your worksheet.

Or am I miscomprehendifying?

Upvote 0
Not "program a barcode scanner with a paste command" but if your VBA has the filename, instead of copying it to the clipboard, you can write it directly to your worksheet.

Or am I miscomprehendifying?

Unfortunately you are on the wrong track.... I have got Excel to generate the filename via the concatenation of the input data, my problem is that the filename is to be used on a seperate program entirely. What I wanted to do was get the operators to switch to the program which records data from our CMM machines, click in the "filename" box and then hit paste on the scanner.... I am trying to remove what we lovingly refer to as "fat finger syndrome" where our operators seem incapable of consistantly entering data in a set format (O instead of 0, spaces where there shouldn't be, wrong numbers etc etc)
Thanks for the input though!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonnaRisso

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back