Copy range and save as a new text file

spycein

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everyone,
I looking for a VBA macro code which would copy a specified column range and save the same as text file.
For example, when i click the command button the code will copy the assigned range and ask for the path & file name to save the file.
Regards,
Shib

Thank you so much @kennypete for all your help.
Actually i have two sheets, Sheet 1 and Sheet2.
In sheet2 i have following table

DateNarrationExpense RegisterDebit Ledger 1GST ClassificationLedger AmountGST Taxable ValueCost CentreCost Centre AmountTax RateTDS Ledger NameTDS AmountDebit Ledger 2Ledger AmountDebit Ledger 3Ledger AmountCr_LedgerLedger Amount
20200425Test12020-21Good PurchasedPurchase Taxable- 200,000.00-2000002020- 200,000.0014Not Applicable- 200,000.00VAT- 28,000.00GST- 28,000.00XYZ Company 256,000.00
20200420Test22020-21Good PurchasedPurchase Taxable- 200,000.00-2000002020- 200,000.0014Not Applicable- 200,000.00VAT- 28,000.00GST- 28,000.00ABC Company 256,000.00

And in Sheet1 column A i have concatenate the values with formula as follows

A1 :- 20200425Test12020-21Good PurchasedPurchase Taxable-200000-2000002020-20000014Not Applicable-200000VAT-28000GST-28000XYZ Company256000
A2:- 20200420Test22020-21Good PurchasedPurchase Taxable-200000-2000002020-20000014Not Applicable-200000VAT-28000GST-28000ABC Company256000

I have made this sheet1 as hidden. Only Sheet 2 is visible. i have also inserted a command button on Sheet2.

Now i am looking for a VBA code macro which copy the specific range( Column A concatenate formula populated) from Sheet1 without asking the user about the range and ask for the path & file name to save the file in text format.

I am really sorry to ask you to add prefix & suffix as it is not required in this scenario.

I hope i explained it properly.

Many Thanks for all your help.
Best Regards,

Attachments

• Sheet1.JPG
    Sheet1.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 3
  • Sheet2.JPG
    Sheet2.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Hi @spycein
Your requirements seem to be rather a "moving target". If you had said all you wanted to do is save column A as a .txt file (what happened to the .xml by the way?!) then that would have been a much easier request. This simplified code does that.
Assign this to a button on your Sheet2 and that should be it.
VBA Code:
Sub Sheet1ColAtoTXT()
    Dim lngRow As Long
    Dim varSaveAsTxt As Variant
    Dim arrA As Variant

' NB: Hardcoded to "Sheet1" tab as requested!
    ' Now using an array to store the column's data as that is now a
    ' much easier to define range and it is quicker and simpler later
    arrA = Range("A1:A" & Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)

varSaveAsTxt = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(FileFilter:="Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt), *.txt")
    If varSaveAsTxt = False Then Exit Sub

Dim fso As Object
    Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Dim oFile As Object
    Set oFile = fso.CreateTextFile(varSaveAsTxt)

For lngRow = 1 To UBound(arrA)
        oFile.writeline arrA(lngRow, 1)
    Next lngRow
    oFile.Close
    Set fso = Nothing
    Set oFile = Nothing

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you so much @kennypepte.
But the code copies data from the selected sheet only and does not copy the range from sheet1.
Means my data entry template is on sheet2 and once i run the macro after populating the information, the text file generated and copies the data from sheet2 column A only.

DateNarrationExpense RegisterDebit Ledger 1GST ClassificationLedger AmountGST Taxable ValueCost CentreCost Centre AmountTax RateTDS Ledger NameTDS AmountDebit Ledger 2Ledger AmountDebit Ledger 3Ledger AmountCr_LedgerLedger Amount
20200425Test12020-21Good PurchasedPurchase Taxable- 200,000.00-2000002020- 200,000.0014Not Applicable- 200,000.00VAT- 28,000.00GST- 28,000.00XYZ Company256,000.00
20200420Test22020-21Good PurchasedPurchase Taxable- 200,000.00-2000002020- 200,000.0014Not Applicable- 200,000.00VAT- 28,000.00GST- 28,000.00ABC Company256,000.00

For example, if i run the macro based on the above data then the txt file gives me following output file

Date

if i unhide the sheet1 and run the macro then only the txt file gives me proper output file

20200425Test12020-21Good PurchasedPurchase Taxable-200000-2000002020-20000014Not Applicable-200000VAT-28000GST-28000XYZ Company256000
20200420Test22020-21Good PurchasedPurchase Taxable-200000-2000002020-20000014Not Applicable-200000VAT-28000GST-28000ABC Company256000

As i mentioned earlier my sheet1 is hidden and i dont want to make the sheet visible to others.

I hope i explained it properly.

Many Thanks for all your help.
Best Regards,

Upvote 0
Sure, since it's hidden, unhide it and rehide it within the code. Use the revised version below, which is commented to say what it's doing.

Correspondingly, would you please answer the question I had regarding where the XML output you talked of disappeared to.

Thanks, and I hope this finalises it.

VBA Code:
Sub Sheet1ColAtoTXT()
    Dim strStartingSheet As String
    Dim lngRow As Long
    Dim arrA As Variant

strStartingSheet = ActiveSheet.Name
    ' Turn off showing the screen
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = True
    Sheets("Sheet1").Select

' Reselect the starting sheet before rehiding Sheet1
    Sheets(strStartingSheet).Select
    Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = False

' Turn on showing the screen
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

varSaveAsTxt = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(FileFilter:="Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt), *.txt")

Dim fso As Object
    Dim oFile As Object

Next lngRow
    oFile.Close
    Set fso = Nothing
    Set oFile = Nothing

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you so much @kennypete.
The code works like a charm. Finally got the result which i wanted.
Cannot thank you more.
Regarding the output file save in xml format, i also realised that both the format (i.e. text & xml) work to import the data in the third party software.
Thats why i stick to text format only.

Many many thanks once again.
Best Regards,

Upvote 0
Sure, since it's hidden, unhide it and rehide it within the code. Use the revised version below, which is commented to say what it's doing.

Correspondingly, would you please answer the question I had regarding where the XML output you talked of disappeared to.

Thanks, and I hope this finalises it.

VBA Code:
Sub Sheet1ColAtoTXT()
    Dim strStartingSheet As String
    Dim lngRow As Long
    Dim arrA As Variant

strStartingSheet = ActiveSheet.Name
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = True
    Sheets("Sheet1").Select

Sheets(strStartingSheet).Select
    Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = False

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Dim fso As Object
    Dim oFile As Object

Next lngRow
    oFile.Close
    Set fso = Nothing
    Set oFile = Nothing

End Sub
Happy that this worked out. Cheers
Dear @kennypete, Need your help on the above code.
With the existing code i can copy and save the data from "Column A" only.
Could you please help to copy the data from more than once Column i.e. say Column "A to D" and CONCATENATE the value in a single line and save it as xml file.
For example if the value in Column A is 1A, Column B is 2A, Column C is 3A, Column D is 4A etc.. then my output result would be 1A2A3A4A.
The Column range might get expanded from "Column A" to "Column J".
Thank you so much in advance.
Best Regards,

Upvote 0
Dear @kennypete, Need your help on the above code.
With the existing code i can copy and save the data from "Column A" only.
Could you please help to copy the data from more than once Column i.e. say Column "A to D" and CONCATENATE the value in a single line and save it as xml file.
For example if the value in Column A is 1A, Column B is 2A, Column C is 3A, Column D is 4A etc.. then my output result would be 1A2A3A4A.
The Column range might get expanded from "Column A" to "Column J".
Thank you so much in advance.
Best Regards,
Something like this will work:
VBA Code:
Sub ChosenRangeSaveAsXML()

'strStartingSheet = ActiveSheet.Name
    'Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = True
    Sheets("Sheet1").Select

strRange = InputBox("Enter range to save (e.g. A1:A3, A1:E5, etc)", "Range Selection", "A1:A1")

'Sheets(strStartingSheet).Select
    'Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = False

'Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Dim fso As Object
    Dim oFile As Object

strAll = ""
    For Each c In Range(strRange)
        strAll = strAll & c.Value
    Next c
    oFile.writeline strAll
    oFile.Close
    Set fso = Nothing
    Set oFile = Nothing

End Sub
Note I only focused on the range choice and saving that range as a concatenated single string as you have requested.

Upvote 0
Hi @kennypete , Thank you so much for the help. But code copies the range from the selected sheet not from the hard-coded sheet.
For example if i am on sheet3 and run the macro then Input box appear and ask for the range. Once i mention the range and save the file then the values get copied from Sheet3 not Sheet.
My source data is in Sheet1 which need to be copied and saved. I dont want my user to access the sheet one, that's why i have kept the sheet as xlveryhidden. I want my user to generate the text file only that is why i put the macro button on Sheet3.
Could you please hardcode the range with sheet1 instead of Input Box? That would be a great help for me.
I hope i explained my query properly. Looking forward for your help and solution.
Many Thanks.
Best Regards

Upvote 0
Sorry, no, I don't get it. How are you to know what range on Sheet 1 to output? You say:
"Could you please help to copy the data from more than once Column i.e. say Column "A to D" and CONCATENATE the value in a single line and save it as xml file.
For example if the value in Column A is 1A, Column B is 2A, Column C is 3A, Column D is 4A etc.. then my output result would be 1A2A3A4A."
...but not how you know you want A to D (rather than say A to G or just A and B)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back