Copy template worksheet and rename the copied worksheets from a list. If worksheet name exists, create a copy

limemeup

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This is my first post and this website forum has been such an incredible help! Looking for some assistance on copying a template worksheet and renaming the copied worksheets from a list from a range from another sheet. If the worksheet name already exists, it will create a copy stating "Copy" at the end.

So far I was able to create the copies from a list but it did not stop after cell B50 (started from B3).....
  • Sh1 = Template sheet is named "xTemplate"
  • Sh2 = Sheet with the running list of names is the sheet named "xRunning List"
  • The Cell Range from the sheet named "xRunning List" is between Rows B3 to B50.
    • There are some sheets already created that is in between rows B3 to B50 so I was hoping if there is already a sheet with that name from these rows, it would create a duplicate reading "Copy" at the end of the new copied sheet.

VBA Code:
Sub makeSheets()
Dim sh1 As Worksheet, sh2 As Worksheet, c As Range
Set sh1 = Sheets("xTemplate")
Set sh2 = Sheets("xRunning List")
    For Each c In sh2.Range("B3", sh2.Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp))
        sh1.Copy After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
        ActiveSheet.Name = c.Value
    Next
End Sub

Thank you all for the help already in the past (been look up fan) and all the help in the future!

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Would you ever have a situation where you create more than one "Copy" of a sheet (e.g. you run the macro multiple times)? If yes, would you not create a 2nd copy, or name it Copy 2, or what?

If the sheet name already exists, do you want a Copy of the template or a copy of the existing sheet?

Upvote 0
@AlphaFrog , I will be only running it once but the book has currently a working document being used. I'm looking to do a one time prepopulate of new sheets..

Currently, their are multiple sheets already named with random numbers that corresponds to the list within the "xRunning List" sheet. When I run the code above, I receive this "Run-time error '1004': That name is already taken. Try a different one." I do already know this is because there are multiple existing sheet with the same name that this code is trying to copy. I was hoping the code would just create a copy instead of pausing/ending the code at the sheet that has the already taken name. If it can continue and the "already taken" name just has a "copy", I can transfer the information over from the existing sheet to the newly create sheet (which has been updated as a different format).

"Sorry the above is for B3 to B500" so restarting the VBA multiple times starting at where the error occurs seems to be not the most effective.
1686718618753.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back