Copy text from text box - TextBox name has a space in it.

dkjonesau

Hi all,

I have a spreadsheet that arrives each month I have to work on in VBA. Unfortunately it arrives with information in a couple of text boxes. I've tried a few different ways to copy the text to the clipboard but the text box name has a space in it and none of the solutions I've searched will accept it. Any ideas? Just want to copy the contents of "TextBox 2" to Clipboard so I can paste it into a cell (where it arguably should be in the first place but I have no control over that :sneaky:)

1635985625078.png

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• 1635985399812.png
    1635985399812.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
See if this code assists you at all. It is code that I found and altered a wee bit. I have not tested it, I leave that up to you to report the results:

VBA Code:
Sub Test()
'
'   This UNTESTED code is supposed to display the name of each Text box to column B & display the contents of it to the C column.
'       Adjust columns accordingly below \/ \/ \/.
'
    Dim TextBoxCounter      As Long
    Dim item                As Shape
    Dim TextBoxNameColumn   As String
    Dim TextBoxValueColumn  As String
    Dim wsSource            As Worksheet
'
    Set wsSource = Sheets("Sheet1")                                                     ' <--- Set this to the correct sheet name
    TextBoxNameColumn = "B"                                                             ' <--- Set this to the column to display Text box names
    TextBoxValueColumn = "C"                                                            ' <--- Set this to the column to display Text box values
'
    TextBoxCounter = 0
'
    For Each item In wsSource.Shapes
        If item.Type = msoTextBox Then
            TextBoxCounter = TextBoxCounter + 1
            Range(TextBoxNameColumn & TextBoxCounter).Value = wsSource.TextBoxes(TextBoxCounter).Name   ' Display name of Text box
            Range(TextBoxValueColumn & TextBoxCounter).Value = item.TextFrame.Characters.Text           ' Display value of Text box
        End If
    Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
Dave

What have you tried?

Upvote 0
Dave

What have you tried?
A variety of versions of similar to this from other posts/forums.
Private Sub CommandButton3_Click()
With New MSForms.DataObject
.SetText TextBox2.Text
.PutInClipboard
End With
End Sub

The code @johnnyL posted above has worked producing the below
1635993833440.png

I can't guarantee that the TextBox number will remain consistent. I need the text out of what is currently TextBox 3 in the clipboard.

I probably have two options. I'm trying to work out now how to select the contents of a cell if it contains *published* & only copy that cell. I could autofilter it but that seems a bit over the top. Lots of posts on copying rows if one cell contains text, but not just that cell.

Alternatively, and probably more elegantly if I could modify @johnnyL 's solution to copy the text from the text box that contains *published* that would be awesome.

That way if the text box number changes the Sub is bullet proof. The target text box will always contain the word "published"

Cheers

Dave

Upvote 0
@dkjonesau can you post some examples of what results you are getting and what you would like the results to look like?

Upvote 0
In the Mean Time you might try this:

VBA Code:
Sub TestV2()
'
'   This UNTESTED code is supposed to display the name of a Text box which contents contains the text of "*PUBLISHED*" to
'   the AL column & display the contents of that Text box to the AM column.
'
'
    Set wsSource = Sheets("Sheet1")                                                     ' <--- Set this to the correct sheet name
    TextBoxNameColumn = "AL"                                                             ' <--- Set this to the column to display Text box names
    TextBoxValueColumn = "AM"                                                            ' <--- Set this to the column to display Text box values
'
    TextBoxCounter = 0
'
'
            If InStr(1, (item.TextFrame.Characters.Text), "PUBLISHED") > 0 Then
                Range(TextBoxNameColumn & TextBoxCounter).Value = wsSource.TextBoxes(TextBoxCounter).Name   ' Display name of Text box
                Range(TextBoxValueColumn & TextBoxCounter).Value = item.TextFrame.Characters.Text           ' Display value of Text box
            End If
        End If
    Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi @johnnyL

I've created a test file so I don't have to redact much.

Using this as an example
1635997478819.png

And your code modified to the below
VBA Code:
Sub johnnyL_Test()
'
'   This UNTESTED code is supposed to display the name of each Text box to column B & display the contents of it to the C column.
'
'
    Set wsSource = Sheets(1)                                                     ' <--- Set this to the correct sheet name
    TextBoxNameColumn = "I"                                                             ' <--- Set this to the column to display Text box names
    TextBoxValueColumn = "J"                                                            ' <--- Set this to the column to display Text box values
'
    TextBoxCounter = 0
'
            Range(TextBoxNameColumn & TextBoxCounter).Value = wsSource.TextBoxes(TextBoxCounter).name   ' Display name of Text box
        End If
    Next
End Sub

Your code returns the text box text beautifully.

What I really need is just the text string with the word Published in it. Either in clipboard or I guess just in a string variable. I've been looking for ways to text search a range and pick a cell from it's contents to clipboard. I only want that cell. Most examples I've found want to copy the whole row or column and seem overly complicated for a simple task.

If there's a way of adding to your routine so that rather than putting the text box contents into a table it finds the content of the required box and either puts it in the clipboard so I can paste it, or just sets it in string variable so that I can use it, that would be fine.

Thanks,

Dave

Upvote 0
That is the older code, can you please give opinion on Post #6?

Upvote 0
All results of current script don't have to be saved to a sheet.

Another question, how many of these text box captures will be required? Is there only 1 that you are looking for, or could there be multiple? In other words, once 'PUBLISHED' is found, are we done looking?

Your answer will determine how results can be saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ended up sorting it out. Modified @johhnyL 's solution and just had what I needed placed into a String variable. Then elsewhere in the schema I put that into the cell I needed to put it. I'll go through & tidy up the comments now. At the moment some of the redundant lines are just commented out.

Cheers. Thanks @johnnyL for the help

DJ

VBA Code:
Sub PublishedDateExtract()
'
'   This UNTESTED code is supposed to display the name of a Text box which contents contains the text of "*PUBLISHED*" to
'   the AL column & display the contents of that Text box to the AM column.
'
'    Dim TextBoxNameColumn   As String
'
    Set wsSource = Sheets(1)                                                     ' <--- Set this to the correct sheet name
'    TextBoxNameColumn = "AL"                                                             ' <--- Set this to the column to display Text box names
    TextBoxValueColumn = "AM"                                                            ' <--- Set this to the column to display Text box values
'
    TextBoxCounter = 0
'
'
            If InStr(1, (item.TextFrame.Characters.Text), "PUBLISHED") > 0 Then
'                Range(TextBoxNameColumn & TextBoxCounter).Value = wsSource.TextBoxes(TextBoxCounter).name   ' Display name of Text box
                PublishedDate = Chr(34) & item.TextFrame.Characters.Text & Chr(34)          ' Display value of Text box
'    MsgBox PublishedDate
            End If
        End If
    Next

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrcsbenson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back