Copying data from one sheet to another retaining ALL formatting (Conditional Formatting)

Quimbyf

All,

I have a particular problem which if possible I would like to solve without resorting to a large VBA scripts.

To explain.

I have two sheets in a SS, once contains data (approx 10000 lines) each line is conditionally formatted to add a background colour, and a number format (£ or % etc). The conditions are based on the content of 3 cells which are searched for on the second sheet. All formatting works correctly and gives me a resulting sheet with every cell formatted as I need it to be. The problem is the conditional formatting is very "Labour intensive" which results in a very slow to use spread sheet.

What I would like to do is take the correctly formatted sheet and Copy it to a new workbook, but I need it to retain all the formatting whilst breaking the link to the reference sheet.

I know I could re-write the thing and use VBA to do all the formatting without using "Conditional" and force the formats direct to each cell, but it seems a lot of extra effort if I can avoid it.

To be clearer I will try and demonstrate what I'm doing and want to achieve.

The RAW Data sheet contains something like this.

Ref_Number Business Division Test Month_1 Month_2 ........... Month_n

1 Gizmos ABC SALES% .80 .81 ........... .95
3 Blobs XYX STOCK 100 98 ........... 40
123 THINGS SSS SALES 2000 2300 .......... 300

The formatted data sheet shows

1 Gizmos ABC SALES% 80% 81% ........... 95%
3 Blobs XYX STOCK 100 98 ........... 40
123 THINGS SSS SALES £2,000 £1,300 .......... £300

My reference sheet contains

1 Gizmos ABC SALES% AMBER AMBER ........... GREEN
3 Blobs XYX STOCK GREEN GREEN ........... RED
3 Blobs AAA STOCK RED RED ............ RED
123 THINGS SSS SALES GREEN AMBER .......... RED

The conditional formatting uses the "Test" field to define the value type (e.g % £ etc) and uses a number of conditions to find the correct format to apply (.e.g. =AND(IFERROR(LEFT($F1,5),"Wrong")="Value",IFERROR(FIND("%",$F1),0)=0 then apply format masK £9,999).

The second format uses SUMPRODUCT to identify the correct RAG status to apply.

=OFFSET(RAG!$A$1,SUMPRODUCT(--(RAG!$A$1:$A$3000=$A1),--(RAG!$B$1:$B$3000=$B1),--(RAG!$D$1:$D$3000=$D1),--(RAG!$E$1:$E$3000=$E1),--(RAG!$F$1:$F$3000=LEFT($F1,5)),ROW(RAG!A$1:$G$3000)-1),MATCH(G$1,RAG!$A$1:$L$1,0)-1)="GREEN"

Where RAG is the reference table.

So as you can see the formatted data is heavily reliant on conditional formatting, which was not a problem with a few hundred items, but it's into the thousands now. The uses does not need the "Working" file just the results of formatting.

I hope I've made clear what I want to do and given enough information.

What I do know Simple copy paste will not work, and paste special doesn't cope either. I also found a solution using word but that's not desirable.

If it can't be done then so be it, and VBA will have to be used but I thought I'd ask first.

Thank you for all your assistance in advance.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back