Copying Excel Chart to Powerpoint - Options & Quality

Sundance_Kid

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I have an excel chart working off a pivot.

I want to copy the chart to a powerpoint deck and share the powerpoint with others, who wont have access to the source data.

When I click on the excel chart in excel & hit copy, I go to the powerpoint and when I right click to paste I have the following options:

1. Use Destination Theme & Embed Workbook
2. Keep source formatting & Embed workbook
3. Use Destination Theme & Link Data
4. Keep Source Formatting & Link Data
5. Picture

If I select picture (5) the quality is not as good as if I select (1) Use Destination Theme & Embed Workbook.

The only thing is if I select (1) Use Destination Theme & Embed Workbook & right click on the chart in powerpoint it gives options in the dropdown to Change Chart Type or Edit Data. I ideally dont want the people who I am sharing the powerpoint with to be able to do this and change the chart ideally.

Also, if the source data updates will it change the chart if I select (1) Use Destination Theme & Embed Workbook?

Is there any other option to copy the chart across but have it in good quality?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Try pasting your chart using the following method instead . . .

Ribbon >> Home tab >> Clipboard group >> click small triangle below Paste >> select Paste Special >> select Picture (Enhanded Meta File) >> click OK

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
There are numerous Paste Special options which, when combined with different resizing of the pasted chart/image, produce different degrees of image quality. You should first of all size the chart in Excel so it does not need to be resized after pasting. Then you can try different paste image formats to decide which you prefer.

You could also convert the linked data in the Excel chart to static data. Make a copy of the Excel chart, then select each series one by one, then press . Click in the series formula, which might originally say
Excel Formula:
=SERIES(Sheet2!$B$1,Sheet2!$A$2:$A$9,Sheet2!$B$2:$B$9,1)
, then press the F9 key. This changes the formula to
Excel Formula:
=SERIES("a",{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8},{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8},1)
. Repeat for the rest of the series in the chart, then copy and paste this chart. It will be pasted as a chart, which means it might have the best quality, and while it still contains the data, it has no links to the data.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back