Correct my VBA code...

farmerscott

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Everybody,

I have been staring at this for too long.

The following 2 codes tries to get a date and turn it into text, that will in the future be used in a SUMIF formula.

Code 1

Code:
Sub sumif()
Dim criteria As String
Dim criteria2 As String
Dim sumrange As Range
Dim criteriarange As Range
Dim criteriarange2 As Range
Dim Cells As Range
Worksheets("Concat").Activate
lr2 = Worksheets("Concat").Cells(Rows.Count, "I").End(xlUp).Row
lr3 = Worksheets("Concat").Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Set sumrange = Worksheets("Concat").Range("L2:L" & lr2)
Set criteriarange = Worksheets("Concat").Range("P2:P" & lr2)
Set criteriarange2 = Worksheets("Concat").Range("M2:M" & lr2)
Set Range1 = Worksheets("Concat").Range("E1:E" & lr3)

Dim x As Integer

For x = 2 To lr2
        monthyear = Worksheets("Concat").Cells(x, 8).Value
        result = Application.WorksheetFunction.Text(monthyear, "mmm-yy")
[COLOR=#0000ff]    Cells(x, 16).Text = result
[/COLOR]    

Next x

For x = 2 To 120
        Cells(x, 5).Value = WorksheetFunction.sumif(criteriarange, "=" & Cells(x, 15), sumrange)

Next x
End Sub

This code gives an Error 91 on the blue line of code when stepping thru the code.

I changed the code to below but still getting an error 91 on the blue line of code.

Code 2

Code:
Sub sumif()
Dim criteria As String
Dim criteria2 As String
Dim sumrange As Range
Dim criteriarange As Range
Dim criteriarange2 As Range
Dim Cells As Range
Worksheets("Concat").Activate
lr2 = Worksheets("Concat").Cells(Rows.Count, "I").End(xlUp).Row
lr3 = Worksheets("Concat").Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row
Set sumrange = Worksheets("Concat").Range("L2:L" & lr2)
Set criteriarange = Worksheets("Concat").Range("P2:P" & lr2)
Set criteriarange2 = Worksheets("Concat").Range("M2:M" & lr2)
Set Range1 = Worksheets("Concat").Range("E1:E" & lr3)

Dim x As Integer

For x = 2 To lr2

[COLOR=#0000ff]Cells(x, 16).FormulaR1C1 = "=Text(=RC[-8], ""mmm-yy"")"
[/COLOR]     
     Next x

For x = 2 To 120
        Cells(x, 5).Value = WorksheetFunction.sumif(criteriarange, "=" & Cells(x, 15), sumrange)

Next x
End Sub

thanks

FarmerScott

Hi Scott,

For reference - here's Michael's code tweaked:

Code:
Sheets("Concat").Range("P" & x).Value = Evaluate("Text(Concat!I" & x & ",""mmm-yy"")")

HTH

Robert

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hi Scott,

You're welcome. This thread generated a lot of discussion on different aspects of your original code and was quite interesting.

Teeroy

Upvote 0
Michael, Robert, Teeroy and Joeu2004...thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Got me over the hump:).

Teeroy, I agree the thread bought our some good discussion and ideas. I find it facinating how people can solve a VBA problem from so many angles. VBA has great flexibility in this regard but get the syntax marginally wrong........

cheers

FarmerScott

Upvote 0
The differences are usually in the way people think rather than the language.

If you think the syntax can be difficult in VBA try C < shudder ><shudder>, Python, or to a lesser extent FORTRAN. The compiled languages are generally much faster but are more structurally strict.</shudder>

Upvote 0
Ahh, FORTRAN
I remember walking down to the computer room with my box of cards, ready to feed in my code.
UUURGH !!!

Upvote 0
My FORTRAN was at least on a keyboard, usually midnight (the only time we were allowed processing time was 11pm-5am) on the company mainframe doing uni assignments.

Upvote 0
The differences are usually in the way people think rather than the language.

If you think the syntax can be difficult in VBA try C < shudder ><SHUDDER>, Python, or to a lesser extent FORTRAN. The compiled languages are generally much faster but are more structurally strict.</SHUDDER>

Teeroy,

sounds like I don't have enough hair to go down that path.......I have enough to master in VBA.

Just a quick question..... Excel is regarded as the best for number crunching but how evolved is C++ and Java when it comes to such features.

There was thread here the other day on people wanting a front end for Excel, that I found interesting.

thx

FarmerScott

Upvote 0
Teeroy,

sounds like I don't have enough hair to go down that path.......I have enough to master in VBA.

Just a quick question..... Excel is regarded as the best for number crunching but how evolved is C++ and Java when it comes to such features.

There was thread here the other day on people wanting a front end for Excel, that I found interesting.

thx

FarmerScott

FarmerScott,

You take for granted all the functions that are available in excel; in C you either import a library to get a function you need or you write your own. I'm certainly no expert on C, I was learning it for fun (sick I know :)) as I couldn't get my head around it when I had a subject on it at uni (a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...). I haven't done any C++ or Java (but it looks C'ish).

FYI another useful number crunching program, especially for algebra and matrices, is Smath Studio. It's like a freeware MathCAD.

Why would you want a front end for excel? You just create a UserForm to do that.

Teeroy.

Upvote 0
Hi Teeroy,

thanks for the comments.

I would like to learn some C++ and Java so I can write some little programs for the farm. Most of the farm software I don't like. For example when we were looking for a financial package they gave great tax info for the accountant but poor information that I could retrieve for management purposes, so I just wrote an Access Dbase to cover both.

I think the guys wanted something to front end Excel so it could be a stand alone .exe and have no problems with people changing things.

FS

Upvote 0
Personally I would use the Access database. You can then easily link between access and excel if you need to do some data manipulation.

If you Google Excel2exe you can find a number of programs that claim to make an exe from excel. I thought it would be infringing MS copyright of the program.

ps: I hope you are getting some of the rain spread over NSW.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k_bs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back