Correct status

Even

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there,
I have a larger client model with several sheets representing a different product for clients. One client might have several products and thus be in each sheet. We (at work) use the model to renew the clients and we have to change status of each client. For example when a clients quits we have to mark it as expired. But sometimes the clients just stops having one product and keep other products. And this is where I need help. Because I have one sheet that shows all clients with each product. So whenever I change status to "expired" for one product it stands "expired" for all products even they still have those products. At the "all products" sheet where all clients is listed with all the products I have a formula that finds which status the client is. It looks like this:

Excel Formula:
=IF(IFERROR(INDEX(Product1!$C$5:$C$486;MATCH(B3;Product1!$A$5:$A$486;0));"")<>"";INDEX(Product1!$C$5:$C$486;MATCH(B39;Product1!$A$5:$A$486;0));IF(IFERROR(INDEX(Product2!$C$5:$C$498;MATCH(B3;Product2!$A$5:$A$498;0));"")<>"";INDEX(Product2!$C$5:$C$498;MATCH(B3;Product2!$A$5:$A$498;0))....."")))))))

So if the status is "expired" for Product1 and "active" for Product2 it is registered as being expired.

Does anybody know how I can work around this problem?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
@Even , can you post a mini worksheet using the xl2bb add in? Just small sample. You can dummy up the data for anonymity. Hide columns that are not part of the calculation. You can even put dummy data from different sheets in the same sheet view to make it easier, just make a comment about that.

Upvote 0
Model test.xlsx
ABCD
1ClientStatus
2Client ARenewedProduct 1
3Client BExpired 
4Client CIn processProduct 1
5Client DRenewedProduct 1
Product1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:D5D2=IF(OR(B2="Expired",A2=""),"","Product 1")

Model test.xlsx
ABCDE
2StatusClientProduct 1Product 2Product 3
3RenewedClient Aü  
4ExpiredClient B üü
5In processClient Cüüü
6RenewedClient Düüü
All products
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C3:C6C3=IF(COUNTIFS(Product1!$A$2:$A$500,$B3,Product1!$D$2:$D$500,$C$2)>0,"ü","")
D3:D6D3=IF(COUNTIFS(Product2!$A$2:$A$500,$B3,Product2!$D$2:$D$500,$D$2)>0,"ü","")
E3:E6E3=IF(COUNTIFS(Product3!$A$2:$A$500,$B3,Product3!$D$2:$D$500,$E$2)>0,"ü","")
A3:A6A3=IF(IFERROR(INDEX(Product1!$B$2:$B$500,MATCH(B3,Product1!$A$2:$A$500,0)),"")<>"",INDEX(Product1!$B$2:$B$500,MATCH(B3,Product1!$A$2:$A$500,0)),IF(IFERROR(INDEX(Product2!$B$2:$B$500,MATCH(B3,Product2!$A$2:$A$500,0)),"")<>"",INDEX(Product2!$B$2:$B$500,MATCH(B3,Product2!$A$2:$A$500,0)),IF(IFERROR(INDEX(Product3!$B$2:$B$500,MATCH(B3,Product3!$A$2:$A$500,0)),"")<>"",INDEX(Product3!$B$2:$B$500,MATCH(B3,Product3!$A$2:$A$500,0)),"")))

Upvote 0
can you post examples of the Product sheets?
I'm not really sure what youre trying to accomplish by the formulas.

Upvote 0
Thanks for looking at it. I have removed a column as it's not crucial to the problem I am facing. In each product sheet there are clients informing us what status they have, for example if they have renewed, in the process of renewing or if the client long has the product. And in another sheet (All products) we have all the clients accumulated showing the same status in column A.

This is from the sheet "All products" where it informs that Client B is expired and no longer needs to be renewed.
Model test.xlsx
AB
2StatusClient
3RenewedClient A
4ExpiredClient B
5In processClient C
6RenewedClient D
All products
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A3:A6A3=IF(IFERROR(INDEX(Product1!$B$2:$B$500,MATCH(B3,Product1!$A$2:$A$500,0)),"")<>"",INDEX(Product1!$B$2:$B$500,MATCH(B3,Product1!$A$2:$A$500,0)),IF(IFERROR(INDEX(Product2!$B$2:$B$500,MATCH(B3,Product2!$A$2:$A$500,0)),"")<>"",INDEX(Product2!$B$2:$B$500,MATCH(B3,Product2!$A$2:$A$500,0)),IF(IFERROR(INDEX(Product3!$B$2:$B$500,MATCH(B3,Product3!$A$2:$A$500,0)),"")<>"",INDEX(Product3!$B$2:$B$500,MATCH(B3,Product3!$A$2:$A$500,0)),"")))

According to the sheet "Product 1" this is correct - the client no longer has Product 1:
Model test.xlsx
AB
1ClientStatus
2Client ARenewed
3Client BExpired
4Client CIn process
5Client DRenewed
Product1

However, Client B has Product 2, which is renewed:

Model test.xlsx
AB
1ClientStatus
2Client AExpired
3Client BRenewed
4Client CIn process
5Client DRenewed
Product2

So I just need help with the fomula in the sheet "All products" to reflect the correct status (in column A). This problem occurs when a client has more than one product and the status is different for the products; let's say renewed for product 1, but expired for product 2.

Hopefully this helps :)

Upvote 0
Thanks, but I needed all product sheets that are referenced in your AllProducts sheet. The formulas break without those references. You can test this for yourself by doing a copy from ALLPRODUCTS sheet above (not your workbook as copy may remember the workbook source), and paste into a brand new workbook. You'll get a rude dialog box that bascially says open a file, and I don't have that file. You do on your computer! :)

But, as I understand it without any kind of excelling you want a status of clients based upon statuses and the structure of your product tables make it hard to do.
So, my suggestion would be to set up a hierarchy of what status does the aggregate statuses of all products mean for that client.
If any of the 3 are "in process" then the client status is "in process",
Or if renewed is more important then renewed should be the overall status.

So, without me giving formulas... you seem to have a grasp of that, so you can build them based on this:
If OR(Product1Status = "Renewed",Product2Status = "Renewed",Product3Status = "Renewed") then "Renewed",
If Or(Product1Status = "In Process",Product2Status = "In Process",Product3Status = "In Process") then "Renewed"
If Or(Product1Status = "Expired",Product2Status = "Expired",Product3Status = "Expired"), then "Expired"

if a Client isn't on a particular product sheet you'll have to create some kind of default (I suggest "Expired" because the first two steps will overrule that anyway.

But frankly, and I know this is not a database. But associating the status of a Client based upon product like this goes against rules of database normalization.
My suggestion is to have a separate client worksheet for status with the client status and just have single massive product sheet where you record both all clients and all products together without status.

If you need to record that a product has been discontinuted, for that client, then set up a product status column or delete from the worksheet.

ClientAExpired
ClientBIn Process
ClientCRenewed

ClientAProduct1
ClientAProduct2
ClientBProduct1
ClientBProduct3
ClientCProduct1
ClientCProduct2
ClientCProduct3

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back