Correlation with multiple criteria

tjkramer

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to find the correlation of two columns of data if multiple conditions are met -- almost like a "sumifs" function, except a "CorrelIfs" function.

Column A = dates (dd/mm/yy)
Column B = Quarter (1-4)
Column C = Year (yyyy)
Column D = daily natural gas prices for 10 years
Column E = daily power prices for 10 years
Cell F1 = Start Year
Cell F2 = End Year
Cell F3 = Quarter

I am trying to make the correlation function be dynamic, so that I can change the start date in F1, the End Date in F2 and the Quarter in F3. Specifically, I'd like to be able to type 2015 in F1, 2017 in F2 and Q3 in F3 and get the correlation of natural gas (Column D) to power (Column E) from 2015 thru 2017 for just Q3 during that time period. Then I need to be able to change the start year and/or End Year and/or Quarter.

I can do this for changing start and stop dates, but I do not know how to introduce the changing Quarter cell. For the changing start/stop dates:
=Correl(Index($D:$D, Match ($F$1,$C:$C,0)): Index($D:$D, Match($F$2,$C:$C,0)), Index($E:$E, Match($F$1,$E:$E,0)): Index($E:$E,match($F$2,$C:$C,0))) works for me for calculating the correlations for the specific years. But I do not know how or where to introduce the changing "Quarter" variable (cell F3) into this formula.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
TK

My bad, table actually looks like this...
MrExcelForum Correlation Multi Help.xlsx
IJKLMNOPQ
2Start YearQ1Q2Q3Q4
3End YearSpot Peak NY-JSpot Peak NY-JSpot Peak NY-JSpot Peak NY-J
4Q1Spot Peak PJM
5Q2Spot Peak PJM
6Q3Spot Peak PJM
7Q4Spot Peak PJM
Data

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Let's try this. It uses some rather lengthy IF statements to figure out what years, quarters and/or months you want to analyse.

Put logical numbers into the matrix (or no numbers at all into the years, quarters and/or months fields) and it should work. I know your sample data here only as one year, but this method should handle most permutations.

If you just want year 2010, then put 2010 in both Start and End. If you put 2010 in start and leave end blank, the algorithm will assume 2010 through the maximum number year in the data. The same goes for the quarters and months fields as long as the start value is not greater than the end value. If you put 2016 in end and leave start blank, the algorithm will assume everything from the minimum number year in the data up to 2016. The same goes for the quarters and months fields as long as the start value is not greater than the end value.

This is much simpler if we use Excel Tables. I have converted the data you provided to an Excel Table called T_NatGas. I hope you know how Excel Table nomenclature works.

[I did not paste the entire data table again.]

MrExcel posts18.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
1DatesDayMonthQuarterYearSpot Peak PJMSpot Peak NY-Jyearquartermonth
21/1/2010111201045.13470.7781Start201012correlation0.739599
31/2/2010211201045.13470.7781End201025
41/3/2010311201045.13470.7781
51/4/20104112010102.4638100.185
Sheet28
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
O2O2=CORREL( IF((T_NatGas[Year]>=IF(ISBLANK(J2),MIN(T_NatGas[Year]),J2))*(T_NatGas[Year]<=IF(ISBLANK(J3),MAX(T_NatGas[Year]),J3))* (T_NatGas[Quarter]>=IF(ISBLANK(K2),MIN(T_NatGas[Quarter]),K2))*(T_NatGas[Quarter]<=IF(ISBLANK(K3),MAX(T_NatGas[Quarter]),K3))* (T_NatGas[Month]>=IF(ISBLANK(L2),MIN(T_NatGas[Month]),L2))*(T_NatGas[Month]<=IF(ISBLANK(L3),MAX(T_NatGas[Month]),L3)),(T_NatGas[Spot Peak PJM])), IF((T_NatGas[Year]>=IF(ISBLANK(J2),MIN(T_NatGas[Year]),J2))*(T_NatGas[Year]<=IF(ISBLANK(J3),MAX(T_NatGas[Year]),J3))* (T_NatGas[Quarter]>=IF(ISBLANK(K2),MIN(T_NatGas[Quarter]),K2))*(T_NatGas[Quarter]<=IF(ISBLANK(K3),MAX(T_NatGas[Quarter]),K3))* (T_NatGas[Month]>=IF(ISBLANK(L2),MIN(T_NatGas[Month]),L2))*(T_NatGas[Month]<=IF(ISBLANK(L3),MAX(T_NatGas[Month]),L3)),T_NatGas[Spot Peak NY-J]) )

Upvote 0
Wow.... just... wow. That's an impressive piece of logic you created. Will give this a shot and see if I can make it work. Many thanks for the prompt replies and great help.

Upvote 0
OK...I just made this WORK!! You are a genius. You absolutely saved me.
I can't thank you loud enough or long enough.
Prompt replies + tons of your valuable time + an answer that works first time I tried it = Amazing.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Upvote 0
Oh heavens, I'm blushing.

You're welcome. I'm glad to have helped. Come back anytime.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayeshw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back