Count formula using a named range

FireBott

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Good Afternoon. I would appreciate it if someone could provide me with guidance on the issue I am trying to solve. Thank you for taking the time to assist me.

We have 31 people performing some testing on a new process. To ensure the testers know what to test, we created a spreadsheet containing the user stories (Column B). There are 6 personas that the testers will be assigned during the testing (Manager, Chef, Wait Staff, Sous Chef, FOHM, BOHM). These are tabs in the spreadsheet. Beside each user story is a drop-down list for the tester to input the status of their test for each user story (In Progress, Not Started, Completed Successfully, Completed Unsuccessfully). The statuses are in Columns D, F, and H of each tab (Persona).

I am trying to gather a total of each status per tab (persona).

So far, I have not had much luck. I have a feeling the issue is with the range name as it consists of every other column (D, F, and H). I have played around with every count formula to no avail. Below is one of them that I tried.
  • Created a Defined name for each tab (persona) (example =Manager!$D$3:$D$10,Manager!$F$3:$F$10,Manager!$H$3:$H$10).
  • =COUNTIF(Manager,"In Progress"). A #Value! error message was returned.
Is it possible to perform a count of different columns based on the criteria in a list?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Shauna

Attachments

• 2023-07-31 16_52_31-Window.png
    2023-07-31 16_52_31-Window.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 6

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Hello, just to understand, does the below formula not work? Do you get an error?
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF($D$3:$H$10,$B14)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlckr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back