Count function to count ONLY formula results

Churchy LaFemme

Board Regular
I have 25 columns and several hundred rows. The 25 columns are all lookup values (or nothing is displayed because of ISNA or &"" formula tricks). I want a final column to make sure there is at least one value in every row. However, the counta and other formulas I have tried count the formulas as values.

Help!

By the way, all the values are TEXT. (They are formatted as general, but are not numbers.)

I have tried using wildcards and greater than .5 as criteria and about to just give up and go have a drink. ;)

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Try something like this (fill in the missing cell references)...
Code:
=LEN(A1&B1&C1&[COLOR="Red"]....[/COLOR] X1&Y1)>0

Upvote 0
Yee haw! The counta minus counta formula worked!

The left formula gave me a TRUE result, even for my test row which I know has no results.

Thanks! I can leave work with a project finished.

Upvote 0
I have 25 columns and several hundred rows. The 25 columns are all lookup values (or nothing is displayed because of ISNA or &"" formula tricks). I want a final column to make sure there is at least one value in every row. However, the counta and other formulas I have tried count the formulas as values.

Help!

By the way, all the values are TEXT. (They are formatted as general, but are not numbers.)

I have tried using wildcards and greater than .5 as criteria and about to just give up and go have a drink. ;)
Try this...

=COUNTIF(A2:J2,"?*")

That will count cells that contain text and will exclude cells that contain formula blanks.

Upvote 0
Try this...

=COUNTIF(A2:J2,"?*")

That will count cells that contain text and will exclude cells that contain formula blanks.

For some reason, the first solution stopped working (this was on an existing spreadsheet) but the second solution saved the day.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lee_ray

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back