Count matches of football scores using =SUM(IF(J3:J23=J37:J57,1,0))

Shmerty

Hi everyone.

Id expect the above formula (placed in AA34) to return the number 2. But it doesn't, it returns 19! Way off!

I think I'm close, and as you will see from all the different formula combinations, I have been trying everything!

Hopefully someone can help me out.

Many thanks,
Shmerty
WorldCup2014.jpg

Aaaahhhhhh I finally finished the spreadsheet this morning Jason. Here's it is: (pw=GHS)

http://www.liamsmart.co.uk/downloads/WorldCup2014_v10(working).xls

One very annoying thing I couldn't get my head around is that row() does not return a number when used inside sumproduct(). This made it impossible for me to replicate formula down columns AC & AD, and took a very long time. I had to change the cell references manually 42 times for each of these columns. A big job when you look at my mad formulas. It took ages!

Will replace my nasty formula for column AD with yours when I have the energy to manually change another 42 lines (as yours is a lot better)!

Liam

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
I implemented your formula and changed it to the following so I could copy&paste it:
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--($M$3:$Y$33=INDIRECT("M"&37+(0*34)&":Y"&67+(0*34))),--ISNUMBER(MATCH($M$3:$Y$33,{"H","D","A"},0)))

To explain my use of row(), I was hoping to use this to save me manually editing 42 rows:

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--($M$3:$Y$33=INDIRECT("M"&37+(ROW()-3*34)&":Y"&67+(ROW()-3*34))),--ISNUMBER(MATCH($M$3:$Y$33,{"H","D","A"},0)))

But I'm still happy. Is there any way to simply the code in AC as your version for AD is so much more maintainable? This is the formula in column AC:
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(($J$3:$X$33=INDIRECT("J"&37+(0*34)&":X"&67+(0*34)))*(ISNUMBER($J$3:$X$33))*(ISNUMBER(INDIRECT("J"&37+(0*34)&":X"&67+(0*34))))*(ISNUMBER(MATCH(COLUMN($J$3:$X$33),{10,12,16,18,22,24},0 ))))

Thanks,
Liam

Upvote 0
I done it :LOL:

I was using the Index() wrong. I now have the code sitting at:

Column AC:
Code:
SUMPRODUCT(($J$3:$X$33=INDIRECT("J"&37+(INDEX(ROW()-3,1)*34)&":X"&67+(INDEX(ROW()-3,1)*34)))*(ISNUMBER($J$3:$X$33))*(ISNUMBER(INDIRECT("J"&37+(INDEX(ROW()-3,1)*34)&":X"&67+(INDEX(ROW()-3,1)*34))))*(ISNUMBER(MATCH(COLUMN($J$3:$X$33),{10,12,16,18,22,24},0 ))))

Column AD:
Code:
SUMPRODUCT(--($M$3:$Y$33=INDIRECT("M"&37+(INDEX(ROW()-3,1)*34)&":Y"&67+(INDEX(ROW()-3,1)*34))),--ISNUMBER(MATCH($M$3:$Y$33,{"H","D","A"},0)))

Upvote 0
Good to see you got it finished Liam.

Just looking at your latest posts, following your method of using ROW() I would have gone with something like

=SUMPRODUCT(--($M$3:$Y$33=INDEX($M:$M,3+(ROWS(AD$3:AD3)*34)):INDEX($Y:$Y,33+(ROWS(AD$3:AD3)*34))),--ISNUMBER(MATCH($M$3:$Y$33,{"H","D","A"},0)))

The method I used for my version of the sheet was MATCH(first name &" "& last name, C:C,0)

This was how I got the row numbers listed in row 1 of the sorted data sheet, then I just referred to those numbers for the index formula. You will not see this in the sheet though, I used pastespecial to change some formula to values in order to reduce the number of formula in the sheet, this match formula was one of those.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhester2010

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back