count number of occurences of a month in a column only if in current year

branbran

Board Regular
Hi there: I have a column which is labeled "Date Assigned" in which I enter a date eg. 1/10/2014. I want to total the number of occurrences of a month in this column based on what I have chosen in my pick list that lists all the months, however only if we are in the current year. This column will have dates from 2013 and will continue to have dates in 2015.
I've made a pick list of all the months (January -December) and I want to be able to pick month and have it calculate the number of occurrences of that month in the "date assigned" column if we are in the current year. The current year stipulation is so I don't have to hard code the year each January. I'm using excel 2007 and am having a really hard time getting this to work. Any ideas??

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Welcome to the board.

Assuming dates in column A and the month name (e.g. October) in B1, try:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(1&B1)=MONTH(A1:A1000)),--(YEAR(A1:A1000)=YEAR(TODAY())))

Upvote 0
humm, that's not working for me. I'm getting a #value! and I replicated your example with the dates in column A and October in B1 on a new sheet. This is what I tried to write but it is not working: =IF(B9="October",IF(YEAR(TODAY()),(COUNTIFS(Active!F:F,">=1/10/2014",Active!F:F,"<=31/10/2014")),0),0). I'm wondering if the date functions I'm using don't work in 2007. is there any way to tweak what I have written?

Upvote 0
humm, that's not working for me. I'm getting a #value! and I replicated your example with the dates in column A and October in B1 on a new sheet.

That's odd. The only way I can get my formula to throw a #VALUE error is if the month is spelled incorrectly. What happens when you input the following?

A1: 10/1/2014
A2: 10/2/2014
A3: 10/3/2014
B1: October
C1: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(1&B1)=MONTH(A1:A1000)),--(YEAR(A1:A1000)=YEAR(TODAY())))

**make sure to copy the formula. Re-typing sometimes leads to accidental omission of characters.

There should be no issues using this formula in 2007.

Upvote 0
You'd get #VALUE! error with any text in the range A1:A1000, e.g. a text header in A1

Try this version with COUNTIFS which will ignore any text

=COUNTIFS(A:A,">="&(1&B1)+0,A:A,"<="&EOMONTH((1&B1)+0,0))

Upvote 0
Wow, this is great, thank you! much different than mine. It works although I'm a little lost with the formua, could you explain it out for me??

Upvote 0
Wow, this is great, thank you! much different than mine. It works although I'm a little lost with the formua, could you explain it out for me??

just to be specific I know what countifs does, but I'm not sure how you confirm we are in the current year?I'm also not familliar with the use of the & symbol?

Upvote 0
& is used to concatenate so let's assume you have October in B1 then 1&B1 just gives you the text string "1October"....but when you perform a calculation on a text string that looks like a date, i.e (1&B1)+0 you get a real date, 1st October in the current year

....so ">="&(1&B1)+0 resolves to the same as ">=1-Oct-2014" and from "<="&EOMONTH((1&B1)+0,0) you get "<=31-Oct-2014", so a count of dates within the month in question in the current year

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingwi11y

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back