Count Total Number of times Two Criteria Match in Different Columns with Partial Text String

DVDYMBGC

Hi All,
I've been trying to wrap my head around this for a few hours now. I'm giving in. Please help!

Essentially, I have 3 columns of data, which are filled via Google Form.

I've filled it with the following dummy data:
One column is the time stamp. (A)
One column is one or more names. (B)
One column is one or more basketball shot types. (C)

The form works via multiple choice for 2 of 3 columns, and puts a comma and space between answers when multiple have been selected, so some cells contain a single word and others multiple words with commas and spaces.

Ex:
TimestampPlayerShot Type
1/23/2014Jake T, Rob, JacobHook, Free Throw, Lay Up
2/6/2014Jake T, Rob, JacobHook
2/17/2014Jake T, Jacob
Dunk, Hook, Lay Up
2/17/2014Rob, JamesDunk

<colgroup><col style="width: 190px"><col width="120"><col width="120"></colgroup><tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;">
</tbody>

I'm not actually using this for sports, but this scenario might be good for those doing fantasy league stuff.

Essentially, what I want is this:
Part 1
2 Columns Only (B&C):
A formula where I can count the times Name and Shot appear together (in example, name is "Jake T" and shot is "Hook".
This has been problematic for me because I can't get it to count with/without spaces in the data.

I have tried:
=COUNT(FILTER(B:B ; B:B="*Jake T*"; C:C="*Hook*"))

=COUNT(FILTER(B:B ; B:B="Jake T"; C:C="Hook"))

=SUM((B:B="*Jake T*")*(C:C="*Hook*")))

=SUM((B:B="Jake T")*(C:C="Hook")))

I have also tried =Arrayformula(Sum(If(B:<wbr>B="*Jake T*",IF(C:C="*Hook*",1))))

It seems that the problem is that sometimes it's a list of names, and sometimes it is a single name.
For whatever reason, this works to just grab how many times a name appears regardless of whether or not it is a list: =CountIf(B2:B1100,"*Jake T*")

Part 2:
3 Columns:
Same as above, except be able to specify to only pull data from last week, 2 weeks, month, etc,
I have one that counts total baskets that have been made in 4 weeks by all players (ignore NETWORKDAYS, this is just so I can get a working weekday average later):
Pulling data from-
Timestamp NameBaskets made
12/2/2013Michael 1
12/2/2013Diego 1
12/2/2013Richard 1

<colgroup><col style="width: 120px"><col width="120"><col width="120"></colgroup><tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;">
</tbody>
and formula is "=sumif(A2:A12369;">="&(Today(<wbr>)-NETWORKDAYS(TODAY(),TODAY()+<wbr>28,));C2:C12369)"

A new table will populate shots by player using formulas, pulling from the form data, like:

Hook Shots In
The Last:
Jake TRobJames
WeekFormulaFormulaFormula
2 WeeksFormulaFormulaFormula
3 WeeksFormulaFormulaFormula
MonthFormulaFormulaFormula

<colgroup><col style="width: 120px"><col width="120"><col width="120"><col width="120"></colgroup><tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;">
</tbody>

Other tables will be made to calculate other shots in a similar way.

This is so I can keep an eye on how many times Jake T (and everyone else) has worked on Hook shots (and others) in the last 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, etc.

Sample Sheet
https://docs.google.com/<wbr>spreadsheets/d/<wbr>109e03TN9zQpIc5FUf42rGSwUPHoZu<wbr>tnCtYm-AXSEO_c/edit#gid=0

Hopefully I've been clear enough. Thanks for you're time!
Cross posted after no response in over 3 days: https://productforums.google.com/fo...documents/how-do-i/chrome-browser/c9LWzwLYCgU

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hello and welcome to MrExcel

Looks like you have "new google sheets" in which case you can use COUNTIFS function (with an "S" on the end), e.g.

=countifs(B:B,"*Jake T*",C:C,"*Hook*")

You can easily add extra criteria to that so for same criteria but within last two weeks

=countifs(B:B,"*Jake T*",C:C,"*Hook*",A:A,">="&today()-14)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back