Count Unique values in a filtered Column

webharvest

I have people's names in Cells A9 to A42 and I want to count the number of unique people in the list so I can multiply the number of unique people by 40 and give me the total # of hours I have available in a week given a 40 hour work week.

I came up with the following formula which works great except the name column is filtered so when I select a filter value I get the same number no matter what the filter is set to.

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(A9:A42)>0,MATCH(A9:A42,A9:A42,0),""), IF(LEN(A9:A42)>0,MATCH(A9:A42,A9:A42,0),""))>0,1,0))

So I tried the following:
=SUBTOTAL(9,(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(A9:A42)>0,MATCH(A9:A42,A9:A42,0),""), IF(LEN(A9:A42)>0,MATCH(A9:A42,A9:A42,0),""))>0,1,0)))

This doesn't work because I don't think the subtotal function works with an array (not sure about that though).

I also tried something like this
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(A9:A42)>0,(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(A9,ROW(A9:A42)-ROW(A9),0)),MATCH(A9:A42,A9:A42,0),)),""),(IF(LEN(A9:A42)>0,MATCH(A9:A42,A9:A42,0),""))),1)) and it seemed to work but if the filter value doesn't have the first person in my rows as part of the selection it always comes back with a number 1 higher than it should.

I'm stumped. Is there a way to change the array to a list so the first subtotal function I posted will work or is there a better way altogether to accomplish what I want?

Thank you

Hello,

I am also trying to do the same thing and navigate to this topic. What a brilliant idea!!

However, for the blank cell calculation, I have further question on this. I also need to exclude those "Blank" cells, however, those "Blank" cells are not actually "Empty", the range is a calculated field in which I used IF formula like below:

=IF(A1>10, "Count", "")

Is there a way to further exclude these "Null" value?

Thanks.

Control+shift+enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(A9,ROW(A9:A42)-ROW(A9),,1)),
IF(A9:A42<>"",MATCH(A9:A42,A9:A42,0))),ROW(A9:A42)-ROW(A9)+1),1))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hello Aladin,

I have further question on this array formula.

You've help me how to deal with "Blank" column, by below formula:

{=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(B3,ROW(B3:B100)-ROW(B3),,1)),IF(B3:B100 <>"",MATCH(B3:B100,B3:B100,0))),ROW(B3:B100)-ROW(B3)+1),1))}

Yes, it's working fine, thank you.

However, I have a situation with multiple record set. The setup is like below:
1. Each record would have 3 rows (Due to special purpose). That is, column A is a merged cell while other records would consists 3 columns.
2. For the actual value store at Column B.
3. For example, the actual value for record 1 stored at B3 while B4 and B5 would store the same value as B3 using a simple formula =B3.

rjgsci.jpg

Now my problem is: Those value with formula =B3, =B6, =B9, etc... would still be treated as an unique record, how do I exclude this also?

Thanks again.

TPortsmouth

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just try to count the unique value in column B. I've eventually figure out a solution, simple change the <>"" to <>0 would do the job.

Thanks for your original idea and your inspiration, cheers ;)

I don't understand what <>0 has to do with =B3, =B6, and =B9?

Upvote 0
This is due to when B3 is blank, then the formula =B3 would show 0.
That's why not equal 0 would work.

I'm not clear at all.

In

{=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(B3,ROW(B3:B100)-ROW(B3),,1)),IF(B3:B100 <>"",MATCH(B3:B100,B3:B100,0))),ROW(B3:B100)-ROW(B3)+1),1))}

we already have a test for non-blank: B3:B100 <>"" which says not a formula blank or empty!

Is B3:B100 in your case a numeric range?

Upvote 0
If you build the same data set by thread#14, then you will see how it works.

I'm not clear at all.

In

we already have a test for non-blank: B3:B100 <>"" which says not a formula blank or empty!

Is B3:B100 in your case a numeric range?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHOJ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back