Count With Address

cadence

a quicky

how can I re-write this expression to count from C2 to the address

EG A1=5 A3=10

=COUNTA(C2:(ADDRESS(A3+1,A1+2)))

i'm trying to count all cell with items in range C2:G25 up to where ever the address data goes to?

thanks

If all the ranges were in one column, you could use =COUNTA($C$2:INDEX(C:C,MATCH(A3,C:C,0))) . This assumes that the values in your ranges are unique - a value in Area2 won't be duplicated in Area3.

If they're not unique, then
=COUNTA($C$2:OFFSET(INDIRECT("Area"&$A$1),MATCH($A$3,INDIRECT("Area"&$A$1),0)-1,0,1,1))
should work - although this assumes no headers for the areas, so would need adjustment if you did include them.

Not actually that much nicer than the original answer - it just felt like it should be!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Thank you sooooo much this is the way I wanted to do it but did nlt know how to solve in a single column.

I've almost got it sorted but...

two questions
1. in your previous entry "=INDIRECT("Range"&$A$1)" where do I insert this. I tried to but in in the format control of the second Droplist but not very successful.

Currently the in Input range is 'Range' and the cell link is '$A$3' - What am i missing.

Range is currently defined as "=OFFSET(INDIRECT(Budget!$A$5),0,0,COUNTA(INDIRECT(Budget!$A$5)),1)" - if that's important

2. one weird thing is if DropList A is on Area 1 then it shows all option from Area 1-5 in DropList B, but any other selection, they fall into their proper range.

thanks, this will I can really expand into other parts of me work.

ricebubble

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've got a spreadsheet set up the way I think yours is - so if I detail my setup, we may be able to spot the differences that are causing problems...

A1 has got Data Validation - it's set to a List and the Source is 1,2,3,4,5 (yours might be referencing a spreadsheet range).

A3 has Data Validation - a List with Source =INDIRECT("Area"&$A$1) (I changed from Range to Area - I'm fickle like that!)

The items that were in cols C-G are now all in C, with a space between each range (just to check that it worked like that - you could stick them all together if you wanted).
C2:C15 is named Area1
C17:C35 is named Area2
C37:C48 is named Area3
C50:C66 is named Area4
C68:C89 is named Area5

Whichever number I select in A1, I get the right range to select from in A3.

What is different for you?

Upvote 0
Hey, sorry to be a pain, I followed your steps to the letter on a clean document [twice] and cannot get the second droplist to take up the range. I get what its trying to do [cool] but can't get it to budge, it always just has no second option list.

just to recap what I did
1. column B1:B5 Area1-5 called Range
2.C2:C15 is named Area1 [NO gap between Area_1]
C17:C35 is named Area2
C37:C48 is named Area3
C50:C66 is named Area4
C68:C89 is named Area5
3. DropList 1 Input Range: Range
cell value $A$1
3. DropList 2 Input Range: =INDIRECT("Area"&$A$1)
cell value $A$3

What is weird is that when ever i go back into the format control of the second dropList the Input range is always blank even when i paste =INDIRECT("Area"&$A$1) in.

If that is exactly right, can I perhaps email you or vice versa a spread sheet otherwise I might waste the rest of your life helping a ludite.

thank you

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To the letter - except that my inputs for DropList 1 are {1,2,3,4,5} and yours are {Area1,Area2,Area3,Area4,Area5} :)

Try making the input for Droplist 2 just INDIRECT($A$1)

Upvote 0
I am going mad, I changed to {1,2,3,4,5} [the output is still 1-5 regardless, and i did try your suggestion before [plus all manner of combinations] and again, but it still vanishes if i go back in to the dropList, very weird. [even tried mac and pc environments

On trying INDIRECT($A$1) I get "reference is not valid".

I just can;t see what I'm missing?

Upvote 0
Not sure if cadence is planning to post back here or not - but current issue resolved by email - the problem was that I interpreted "drop list" to mean data validation - but he was talking about a combo box. Assumption being the mother of all unresolved mrexcel threads...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyarra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back