Counting number of dates in an array

jm22

Hello,

I've been searching all over to find a way to do this, but I haven't been able to get anything to work. I am using Excel 2003.

Here is my setup. I have an array that has a student name on the left-most column, then a series of columns with dates which correspond to the date that student completed each event.

Name Event1 Event2 Event3 ... EventN
----------------------------------------
Name1 Date1 Date2 DateN
Name2 Date3

I can accomplish this with COUNTIF assuming that the array stays constant and I can manually input the row associated with each name. I am using =COUNTIF($A6:$AV6,"<="&$D4+(F$3*30)) to accomplish this. The conditional is just the way I have to filter each date.

The problem I'm running into is that the array itself does not stay constant. It is always changing and I need to be able to match the name from another sheet to get the row number to put in the COUNTIF formula. I am able to get the row number I need via the MATCH formula, but I can't put that in the COUNTIF cell reference.

I THINK the basic question here is how can I count cells in an array based off of a dynamic row number. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back