Counting Unique Values in a Date Range

speth

Hello,

I have an access report that's exported in CSV. The report tells me whenever a person uses an HID card to gain access to a door.

I'm running a long term report, and want it to count unique visitors on days.

ColA is the time (m/d/y hh:mm:ss AM), ColB is time, ColC is the Person, ColD is the Portal, ColE is status (let in or denied).

So what I'm trying to do essentially is say, "On XYZ date, how many UNIQUE names are recorded".

Any help? I was trying to wrap my brain around a COUNTIFS, but I don't think that's the right approach.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Sorry, and just to add - the system records any time someone enters. So if they go out to lunch and come back, they're recorded twice. That's the reasoning for needing it to look up unique entries for a day and not just count all entries.

Upvote 0
Hi speth,

Do you have ID numbers as well? If so that would be the preferred reference, because some people can have the same name...

Does the date matter or are you wanting to count unique names for the whole list? If the date matters, then please paste a sample of your spreadsheet so we can see the exact date format.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1TimeTimePersonPortalStatus*Unique Count
2xxxxBobxxxx*6
3xxxxSusiexxxx**
4xxxxBobxxxx**
5xxxxAndrewxxxx**
6xxxxRebeccaxxxx**
7xxxxRebeccaxxxx**
8xxxxRebeccaxxxx**
9xxxxSamxxxx**
10xxxxDanxxxx**
Sheet4

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Cyrus!

No ID numbers, but the names are LAST, FIRST so shouldn't be anything erroneous.

Your formula is counting unique names, but I need to count unique names for a certain day. The sheet has ~2900 rows of information over the course of 90 days or so. The question I'm being asked is "How many people use the door on any given day?"

I changed the range in your formula and it threw out a DIV/0 error - I have a few rows with blank information. Is that the problem?

Upvote 0
speth,

Can you please please paste a sample of your spreadsheet so we can see the exact date format?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back