Couting a string in multiple colums while ignoring duplicates?

jcolliu

Hi, having alot of trouble with this one. I need to count a string of text, lets say "VP" in two columns, but ignore a duplicate if it shows up in the same row. I need "cat" to be found within any other strings, but the asterisk rule doesn't seem to work in SUMPRODUCT. What makes it even more challenging is I'm using INDEX and MATCH to find the correct columns as the data may be entered in the master sheet in a different order.

For example, here's what I have for it to find my string in one column:

=COUNTIF(INDEX('Custom Source'!A2:P900,0,MATCH("Manager Review",'Custom Source'!1:1,0)),"*"&"VP"&"*")

What would I do if I wanted to check another column that I also had to index match but keep it from counting dupes in the same row?

Thanks!

Right, but I'm also trying to find that "TL" value within all strings in it's own INDEX MATCHed column. The formula you provided works perfect when I can input "TL" exactly in that defined range, but I'm trying to do the following, which is returning a 0 -

Try to complete your earlier incomplete specs now in words...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
The additional term must be "TL" found within any given string in a column with the heading "Manager Review" found in a given range. i.e. "TL/VP" must also be picked up. The "Manager Review" column may change it's placement over time as data will be copied and pasted from a master sheet with more or less variables that may shift the column left or right, hence the INDEX MATCH.

Basically what this formula is saying - of those matches that return "Mercer" (from the previous formula) how many have been reviewed by a TL?

Upvote 0
The additional term must be "TL" found within any given string in a column with the heading "Manager Review" found in a given range. i.e. "TL/VP" must also be picked up. The "Manager Review" column may change it's placement over time as data will be copied and pasted from a master sheet with more or less variables that may shift the column left or right, hence the INDEX MATCH.

Basically what this formula is saying - of those matches that return "Mercer" (from the previous formula) how many have been reviewed by a TL?

Could you create a scaled-down sample of 5 rows X 4 columns?

Upvote 0
Business Name
Description
Manager Review
Rating
other
status
A9
mercer
for mercer
TL
B7
mercer
update
TL/VP
C4
philadelphia
mercer
E7

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Like I mentioned, there may be more or less columns depending on how many variables we add to the table, users will copy and paste to the sheet from a master source of data that may jumble the positioning of the columns, hence the use of INDEX MATCH to find the correct column. The rating column in the example above is not used. In this case,

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(
ISNUMBER(SEARCH("mercer",INDEX('Custom Source'!A2:P900,0,
MATCH("Description",'Custom Source'!1:1,0))&"|" &
INDEX('Custom Source'!A2:P900,0,
MATCH("Business Name",'Custom Source'!1:1,0))))+0)

Returns the correct value of 3. Takes into account the fact that it finds mercer twice in the same row and doesn't double count. Perfect.

I need the next formula to add another condition to the previous one to find all those that contain mercer and ALSO have the string "TL" included in the "Manager Review" column. In this case, the formula should return a value of 2.

Let me know if I need to expand on anything, I know it's kind of confusing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Business Name
Description
Manager Review
Rating
other
status
A9
mercer
for mercer
TL
B7
mercer
update
TL/VP
C4
philadelphia
mercer
E7

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Like I mentioned, there may be more or less columns depending on how many variables we add to the table, users will copy and paste to the sheet from a master source of data that may jumble the positioning of the columns, hence the use of INDEX MATCH to find the correct column. The rating column in the example above is not used. In this case,

Rich (BB code):
=SUMPRODUCT(
MATCH("Business Name",'Custom Source'!1:1,0))))+0)

Returns the correct value of 3. Takes into account the fact that it finds mercer twice in the same row and doesn't double count. Perfect.

I need the next formula to add another condition to the previous one to find all those that contain mercer and ALSO have the string "TL" included in the "Manager Review" column. In this case, the formula should return a value of 2.

Let me know if I need to expand on anything, I know it's kind of confusing.

Try...
Rich (BB code):
=SUMPRODUCT(
   MATCH("Business Name",'Custom Source'!1:1,0))))+0,
  ISNUMBER(SEARCH("TL",INDEX('Custom Source'!A2:P900,0,
   MATCH("Manager Review",'Custom Source'!1:1,0))))+0)

If you would want to name 'Custom Source!$A$1:$P$900 as Bdata, the foregoing formula can be made a bit better readable.

Upvote 0
thank you so much. I had the same formula but must have had the parentheses messed up somehow. you've saved me a load of headache!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back