create a permutation list

valuechained

Board Regular
Hi guys,

I hope you can help me with a particularly tricky problem that I encountered this morning.

I have several items that I would like to combine, lets call them characters A, B, C, D, E

Each character is situated in a different column, next to each other. Below, I would like to create a list of all possible combinations of these characters. The sequence is not important and each row should contain a unique combination of characters.

I have counted 31 combinations for the ABCDE set, namely

1 for ABCDE
5 for A, B, C, D, E each
5 for choosing 5 unique sets of four from a set of five (5!/(4!*(5-4)!)
10 for choosing 10 unique sets of three from a set of five (5!/(3!*(5-3)!)
10 for choosing 10 unique sets of two from a set of five (5!/(2!*(5-2)!)

To complicate matters, I have several other character strings where I would like a list of combinations. For example A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H 9 (a longer set).

By the way, each combination should be spread accross several columns (e.g. one colum per character, see the question marks in the table below)

Any advice would be very much appreciated. :) This makes my head spin since a couple of hours.
question.xls
ABCDEF
3CategoryABCDE
4Permutation1?????
5Permutation2?????
6Permutation3?????
7Permutation4?????
8Permutation5?????
9Permutation6?????
10Permutation7?????
11Permutation8?????
12Permutation9?????
13Permutation10?????
14Permutation11?????
15Permutation12?????
16Permutation13?????
17Permutation14?????
18Permutation15?????
19Permutation16?????
20Permutation17?????
21Permutation18?????
22Permutation19?????
23Permutation20?????
24Permutation21?????
25Permutation22?????
26Permutation23?????
27Permutation24?????
28Permutation25?????
29Permutation26?????
30Permutation27?????
31Permutation28?????
32Permutation29?????
Sheet1

To replace your list of items, base array should be adjusted.
As a demo, this section of code
Code:
ReDim baseRRay(1 To numObjects)
For i = 1 To numObjects
    baseRRay(i) = Chr(64 + i)
Next i
set it to the Array("A","B","...)

You could replace that with an explicit
Code:
baseRRay = Array("firstItem","secondItem",...)

Your problem with 28 overflowing the sheet is common. Listing all the possibilites gets really really big very fast.

Why are you listing these posibilites? Analysis would take less space than that big list of possibilites.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
To replace your list of items, base array should be adjusted.
As a demo, this section of code
Code:
ReDim baseRRay(1 To numObjects)
For i = 1 To numObjects
    baseRRay(i) = Chr(64 + i)
Next i
set it to the Array("A","B","...)

You could replace that with an explicit
Code:
baseRRay = Array("firstItem","secondItem",...)

Your problem with 28 overflowing the sheet is common. Listing all the possibilites gets really really big very fast.

Why are you listing these posibilites? Analysis would take less space than that big list of possibilites.

==========================

Thank you for the feedback and question Mike. By the way, it was your message (with the code attached), that made me finally signup and ask the question.

To answer your question, I first must say that early today my brain went on a mini vacation, probably due to lack of sleep... I had this brilliant idea to design all possible variations that 28 variables can take (ranging from 1 to all 28 variables). I am researching some of the variables (factors) that will attract business to a certain location/area.

I little after I posted the question and during an errand, my brain came back and I realized how "silly" my question was, due to the enormity of the number of combinations.

Thanks again and I am happy for making some of you laugh today! Take care,

Henrique

Upvote 0
Okay I have a related question. I am trying to generate a list of permutations that go say 1-20 not repeating any numbers in a column. So a proper answer can be say; 1,10,15,20,19,17,6,7,3,2,5,12,11,9,13,14,16,4,8,18 but not be; 1,2,5,1,7,20,19,20,11,10,4,6,9,11,3,6,7,415,17. This has been a real problem that I have been trying to solve for some time and have as yet been unsuccessful.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Have you read the rest of this thread? It is probably not too difficult to produce what you want but the big question is what are you going to do with the results and where are you going to keep them.

As far as I remember there would be factorial 20 results i.e 2,432,902,008,176,640,000

Eric

Upvote 0
Superbeast, If your problem is to generate the list of all permutations of 1,2,..,20, then you want excel to generate 20! results. Doable, but HUGE!!

Or

Is your problem to generate N different permutations of 1,2,...,20, where N is small (< 5,000 )?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back