Create and Maintain a Filing System Using VBA

Pete81

Hi,

I'm trying to create a command in a file "Directory Creation Test.xlsm" which will, on pressing a button, do the following:

1)Search for a folder, and if it does not find it, create one.
Example: Find the folder "Test" in the directory C:\Filing System, and if it does not exist, create the folder "Test", to produce C:\Filing System\Test

2)If the folder already exists, search for a file with the same name as the value in a cell, and if it does not find it, create one, again using the cell value to decide the file name.
Example: Cell A1 contains the text "Test1". Find the file named after A1 in the directory C:\Filing System\Test, and if it does not exist, create the file and save using the contents of A1 as the file name, to produce C:\Filing System\Test\Test1.xls

3)If the file already exists, then copy the contents of the open worksheet (in which cell A1 = "Test1") and paste them in to the already extant file, in a new sheet, again named after cell A1, then save and close this file.

I've made some progress with this myself, in terms of creating a new folder and a new file, but am stuck as to how to get a new worksheet in to an already existing file.

Below is what I have so far. Excuse the novice hand:

Code:
Sub CreateSaveCosting()

Dim FPath As String
Dim FName As String

'creates a new folder named for the contents of cell A1, provided this folder does not already exist.

If Len(Dir("C:\Filing System\Test" & "\" & Range("A1"), vbDirectory)) = 0 Then
   MkDir "C:\Filing System\Test" & "\" & Range("A1")
End If

'Creates a new file named for the contents of cell A1, provided this file does not already exist.

FPath = "C:\Filing System\Test" & "\" & Range("A1").Text
FName = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Text

If Len(Dir(FPath & "\" & FName)) = 0 Then
ThisWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=FPath & "\" & FName
Exit Sub
End If

'Probably gobbledygook

If Len(Dir(FPath & "\" & FName)) = 1 Then
Workbooks(FPath & "\" & FName).Open
Sheets.Add After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
    Sheets(Sheets.Count).Select
    Sheets(Sheets.Count).Move After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
Workbooks("Directory Creation Test").Worksheets("Sheet1").Copy
Workbooks(FName).Worksheets(Sheets.Count).Paste
ActiveSheet.Name = Workbooks("Directory Creation Test").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Text
Workbooks(FName).Close
End If

End Sub

I fall apart mentally when I try to create code which will perform stage 3.

The purpose of this is to create a hands-off filing system for the user, that a closed program will maintain for them. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Apologies, I've jumbled the first two stages a little. They should read:

"1)Search for a folder named after the value in a cell, and if it does not find it, create one.
Example: Cell A1 contains the text "Test1". Find the folder "Test1" in the directory C:\Filing System, and if it does not exist, create the folder "Test1", to produce C:\Filing System\Test1

2)If the folder already exists, search for a file with the same name as the value in a cell, and if it does not find it, create one, again using the cell value to decide the file name.
Example: Cell A1 contains the text "Test1". Find the file named after A1 in the directory C:\Filing System\Test1, and if it does not exist, create the file and save using the contents of A1 as the file name, to produce C:\Filing System\Test1\Test1.xls"

Upvote 0
Anything at all regarding the above issue? I can get stages 1 and 2 to work, but not stage 3.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suz0718

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back