creating a help guide within excel

neodjandre

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
has anyone ever created a help guide within excel for a big spreadsheet they developed?

can you suggest a way of doing this or an article to read?

could users press F1 and let my own custom help guide appear ?

thanks
andy

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
You can make Help Files as simple or complex as you want. At the simple end is to place the Help info on a Sheet that the user can view. if you already have Macros anyway, then you could place the Help info on a Userform, and display it in any one of several different ways. If the Help info is very involved, or the application is very complex, you may want to use a third party HelpFile creator that will allow you to make a wndows .hlp file, and offer Context Sensitive Help. This is very complex, and can take as long if not longer to develop than the original application.

Displaying help on F1:

Code:
Application.OnKey "{F1}", "Display_Help"
Where Display_Help is a Procedure that displays the Help Info (Either swap to the help sheet, show the Help Userform, or Open a separate Help File)

But remember to reset F1 to it's default behaviour when the application exit
Code:
Application.OnKey "{F1}"

Bueeln Bovey and Green have an EXCELLENT chapter on providing Help in their book

Upvote 0
excellent, is there a free tutorial somewhere though? I will def buy the book sometime but I am in a hurry as we speak :)

Upvote 0
Hmm, none of my usual resources seem to have anything useful. Exactly what level of help are you planning to implement? I have done all of the baove, plus several other variations. Perhaps I can give you enough of a start to get going.

Upvote 0
something like a help menu with on index... on the left you have 10 categories (i.e. for the names of 10 sheets in my workbook) and when you click on them on the right pane, some guidance instructions appear..

like a standard software help menu i suppose...

Upvote 0
Start by building the Help File. I like to use the Help Creator from Breit Technologies. It's free, it's simple, and I haven't found any bugs.

I highly recommend locating the Help file in the same directory as the workbook, and create a global constant called Help_File_Name to hold the actual filename

You can start the file at the index using the F1 key as I described above, use the help method:
Code:
Sub Display_Help()

Application.Help ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & Help_File_Name

End Sub

To jump to a Help Topic (in this case topic number 40), use the follwing method
Code:
Application.Help ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & Help_File_Name, 40

To make a help topic available for a Msgbox:
Code:
MsgBox("This is taking too long... would you like to continue this manually?", vbYesNoCancel + vbExclamation + vbDefaultButton2 + vbMsgBoxHelpButton, "What Now?", ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & Help_File_Name, 34)

Or an Inputbox
Code:
InputBox("Enter Drawing Number to Search.", "Drawing Search", , , , ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & Help_File_Name, 44)

If you want to display help in conjuntion with Userforms, you need to set the Project Helpfile. In the Project Explorer, right click the Project, and got to the properties. Browse to the Helpfile in the proper firled. Now you can set the .HelpContextID for each object in each userform... just be sure to set the .WhatsThisButton and .WhatsThisHelp to true for the userform.

That should get you started... let me know if you have questions...

Upvote 0
thanx hatmat, sorry for taking so long to reply.

is their a way to embed the .hlp file in the actual workbook so that there are no two separate files that need to be in the same directory ?

Upvote 0
No. The .hlp file must be separate so that the appropriate .dll(s) can find it and manipulate it externally. That's what is actually happenning when you call the Help file using anyone of the methods I described: one or more external, common .dll's are being invoked to open the specified .hlp file, and manipulate it in a way so it looks like any othe rhelp file interface.

You can always package the various files in a self extracting zip file. There are also freeware installers out there that can be used to drill multiple files into a single file for a professional looking install.

Upvote 0
great could you recommend a good installer ? even if it's not free I would be willing to pay some money for it !

Upvote 0
It's been a long time since I used an installer utility. I have used the one that comes with VB 6.0 most frequently... before I got my hands on VB 6.0, I used a freebie... it's been YEARS since I've even had a freebie on on one of my systems... I'm afraid I don't remember what I used to use, though truthfully, there are probably better utilities available now. A quick google serach turned up the following:

http://www.thefreecountry.com/programming/setup.shtml

Lately I have been using some variation of the following method. It copies the addin file (and any associated help files, if needed) from a common network drive. This could be adjusted to use URLDownloadToFile to get one or more files from a website, if needed.

Code:
Sub Auto_Open()

Dim mb As VbMsgBoxResult

'If Environ("username") = "sasurpa" Then

mb = MsgBox("Shall I quit?", vbYesNo)

If mb = vbYes Then

Exit Sub

End If

'End If

Install_Wizard

End Sub

Function get_ANY_drive(ByVal lstrDrive_To_Get As String) As String

Dim thisFileObj, allDrivesObj
    Dim item

Dim lintSlash_Location As Integer

Dim mb As VbMsgBoxResult

Dim lboolFlag As Boolean
    Dim lstrRoot As String

Set thisFileObj = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set allDrivesObj = thisFileObj.Drives

lboolFlag = False

For Each item In allDrivesObj

Select Case item.driveletter

Case lstrDrive_To_Get
                lboolFlag = True
                lstrRoot = item.sharename
                lintSlash_Location = InStr(3, lstrRoot, "\")
                lstrRoot = Left(lstrRoot, lintSlash_Location - 1)
                get_ANY_drive = lstrRoot

End Select

'    Select Case item.DriveType
    '    Case 0: oneDriveType = " [ Unknown ] "
    '    Case 1: oneDriveType = " [ Removable ]"
    '    Case 2: oneDriveType = " [ Fixed ] "
    '    Case 3: oneDriveType = " [ Network ] "
    '    Case 4: oneDriveType = " [ CD-ROM ] "
    '    Case 5: oneDriveType = " [ RAM Disk ] "
    '    End Select

Next item

If lboolFlag = False Then

mb = MsgBox("Please close Excel, map the " & lstrDrive_To_Get & ": drive, then restart Excel.", , lstrDrive_To_Get & ": Drive Not Mapped")

get_ANY_drive = "False"

End If

Set thisFileObj = Nothing
    Set allDrivesObj = Nothing

End Function

Sub Install_Wizard()

Dim nms() As String
    Dim vers() As String
    Dim mb As VbMsgBoxResult
    Dim root_V As String

On Error Resume Next

root_V = TurnBack_Distributor.get_ANY_drive("V")

If root_V = "False" Then

Exit Sub

End If

pth1 = Environ("APPDATA") & "\Microsoft\AddIns"
    pth2 = root_V & "\private\sasurpa"

mb = MsgBox("I am about to install Paul Sasur's Turnback Wizard." & vbCrLf & "Proceed?", vbYesNo, "Install")

If mb = vbNo Then

Exit Sub

Else

AddIns.Add pth2 & "\TurnBacks.xla", True

AddIns("Paul Sasur's TurnBack Wizard").Installed = True

End If

ThisWorkbook.Close

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grifaz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back