Creating a pop up to recieve user input

Hairywizard

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, this is my first time posting. I'm trying to come up with a way to prompt a user to enter certain data, such as a name of a team member, start and end times of a task, and the category of that task. Once the data is entered I would like it to automatically sort into various cells based on characteristics of the category ( like specific numbers found in an ID that are always in the same location in the sequence, but give information about the task itself). I was thinking of a pop-up that can be called by clicking a button that would have fields for the inputs to make it more user friendly for people other than myself. The end goal is to have a way to track multiple tasks over the course of a day and seperate them out so I can see the productivity of each individual task rather than an average daily productivity. I'm not asking to have the problem solved for me but I would like to know what is possible and what methods might make sense for this application. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Welcome to the Board!

What are you describing sounds like it might be a Relational Database to me, and Microsoft Access is a much better tool for that, as Access is a Relational Database program and Excel is not.
However, if you are unable to use Microsoft Access (or are not proficient enough in it to create a database in it), and if you will be using Excel, it sounds like you will need quite a bit of VBA, and maybe some user forms for your data entry.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

What are you describing sounds like it might be a Relational Database to me, and Microsoft Access is a much better tool for that, as Access is a Relational Database program and Excel is not.
However, if you are unable to use Microsoft Access (or are not proficient enough in it to create a database in it), and if you will be using Excel, it sounds like you will need quite a bit of VBA, and maybe some user forms for your data entry.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure if access Is available at my job, but I looked up Relational Database and found some information regarding keys that might help me make better use of multiple separate tables. I'll keep working at it and post again if I get stuck somewhere. I appreciate the guidance.

Upvote 0
You are weclome.

Note that you also may be able to make use of Power Query in Excel to more easily perform some database-type operations in Excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back